Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection Very Weak on iPhone, Mobile Devices

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Connection Very Weak on iPhone, Mobile Devices

I've managed to put my ISP's router in bridge mode which is allowing me to use the Orbi as my main router with a satelite. I have the main router in the basement where the line comes into the house and then a Satelite with ethernet wired backhaul to the router in the family room.

In our backyard, I'm about 40 feet away from the Satelite and get great speeds/connection on laptop computers but when it comes to iPhones or iPads, the connection and speed is abysmall with often times connection dropping for a few seconds.

I've got the following settings in my router:

- Manual Channel 1 (tried changing to other channels same effect)

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings ON

- Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence OFF

- Transmit Power set to 100%, tried other settings but didn't have much impact either way

- Daisy Chain OFF

- Enable Implicit Beam Forming ON

- Enable Mu-Mimo OFF

- Enable Fast Roaming OFF

I didn't have this issue in my backyard last year when I was setup with Asus routers. So there's gotta be something with the Orbi that is resulting in poor speeds/connectivity. I don't get it becasue the wired Satelite is literally only 40 feet away from the family room, maybe even less than that. 

Any ideas/suggestions? If I can't resolve this, I have to look at other mesh router systems.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Basements are not good places for main wifi routers. Concrete and steel will inhibit wifi travel. Move the router up to the main floor at least.

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Basements are not good places for main wifi routers. Concrete and steel will inhibit wifi travel. Move the router up to the main floor at least.

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Not sure why that even matters. I have a wired backhaul from the satelite to the router. I have no choice but to have the router in the basement and I didn't have these issues with iOS devices using Asus routers.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Latest firmware. Neighbours on both sides. Chose best channel based on wifi analysis. The issue seems to be only with iOS devices.

I’m now trying the transmission power at 25% for 2.4Ghz and 100% for 5Ghz. My rationale is that I’m not more than 30-40 feet away from the router or satellite at any given time with my mobile devices so if it connected to the 5Ghz band, I may get better speeds without sacrificing connection. We will see but these Orbi’s are really testing my patience.
Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is insane. I continue to get 50MBps on my laptop devices from the very same location that I have my Iphone which is now getting only 2-3Mbps. My laptop is a Macbook too. There is something weird going on with iOS mobile devices. I even tried disabling Wi-Fi Assist on my phone, same result. Current transmission settings are 25% for 2.4Ghz and 100% for 5Ghz. No improvement. What next?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7