Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection constantly crashing, tried factory resets, other configurations, but nothing works

SachaLewin
Aspirant

Connection constantly crashing, tried factory resets, other configurations, but nothing works

Hello,

I recently bought an Orbi setup with 1 router and 2 satellites because my PLC adapters were losing connection too often, and speed wasn't great (400/20 at access point, 80/15 at PLC). It was a great upgrade as I now got speeds around +250/20 where my PLC was (in my room).

However, after some days I started to nice recurrent crashes, and now it's become daily. I lose connection several times a day, often for like 30 seconds, sometimes longer. This is quite disappointing because the product is very good when it works.

I attached as "layout.png" the layout of my apartment, and how I placed the router/satellites.

The drawing scale is not the best but that's about that, distances between the satellites are correct though.

The walls are quite thick and my PC doesn't have wifi, so I chose a pack with 2 satellites.

Each time the connection is lost, although daisy-chain topology is toggled on, it seems to switch to a star topology when it's back up, and also results in a lower download speed after that. The same speed actually as when I tried using only one satellite (the number 2 on the diagram), which results in poor connection (orange on the app) and low speed. Is there possibly a way to enforce the satellite 2 to only connect to satellite 1?

I've read a lot of posts on the forum, desperately searching for answers and solutions, I've tried everything: Updating, factory reset, using only 1 satellite, etc. Nothing works so far so I thought about making a post. 

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
SachaLewin
Aspirant

Re: Connection constantly crashing, tried factory resets, other configurations, but nothing works

One solution I thought would perhaps be to only use my satellite 1, and buy a wifi card for my computer. However, I would prefer not to do this, mostly because I bought this quite expensive orbi system, and I'd like it to work as intended. I don't know why it always wants to change its configuration, and why it doesn't stay on daisy chain topology...

Message 2 of 6
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Please check the firmware version on all three pieces of your ORBI system. Be absolutely certain they are the same version. If not, update the satellites first, then the router. Do a factory reset and then reconfigure from scratch. DO NOT use a backup config file to re-initialise your system.

Also, looking at your layout, I believe your satellite #1 is too close to the router. Try to move that satellite to get about 10 meters between the router and your #1 satellite. Then adjust the #2 satellite to be about 10 meters from the #1 satellite. If all this doesn't work, try eliminating one satellite.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
DarkNet
Apprentice

FWIW, I have daisy-chain unchecked on my system of 1 RBR20 and 2 RBS20s.  I think it was contributing to drop out issues.   I also turned down the transmission power so as not to peg-out communication to the satellites.

Message 4 of 6
SachaLewin
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. They are all the same version. The problem is that if I remove the satellite 2, I can't connect with ethernet on my PC that doesn't have Wi-Fi, and using only that satellite results in poor connection. Perhaps I should buy a wifi adapter for the PC and stop the satellite 2.  

Message 5 of 6
SachaLewin
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I will try unchecking daisy-chain. How did you turn down transmission power? I'm a bit lost on the web interface.

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7