Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection/firewall issue

Aspirant
Aspirant

Connection/firewall issue

I just switched to fiber. (Htc). Now I can’t log my tv on to internet through Orbi. It is logged on to orbi. There are several sites that are coming up 404 not found. Including orbi downloads. 

If I go to the htc modem. Everything works fine. The orbi does not change even if htc modem is turned off. Htc say it is not their equipment. It is a block in the orbi. Says it’s in dmz right now. 

HELP

DAN

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@412 wrote:

I just switched to fiber. (Htc). Now I can’t log my tv on to internet through Orbi. It is logged on to orbi. There are several sites that are coming up 404 not found. Including orbi downloads. 

If I go to the htc modem. Everything works fine. The orbi does not change even if htc modem is turned off. Htc say it is not their equipment. It is a block in the orbi. Says it’s in dmz right now. 

HELP

DAN

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@412 wrote:

I just switched to fiber. (Htc).

How did this happen?  What was involved? 

Message 3 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@412 wrote:

One of the reasons that can cause such strange -unjustifiable- issue is having double NAT in your network. If your ISP modem is acting as a router and does NATing on the incoming WAN traffic then this can cause different issues since Orbi is also doing NATing. You need to check if you have double NAT.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8  (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@412 wrote:

HELP

DAN

Message 5 of 8
Aspirant
Aspirant

Changed to access point. Works great.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8
Aspirant
Aspirant