Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection issues

Sdpoorman
Aspirant

Connection issues

I have had the Orbi system for almost 8 months with no issues. Everything worked perfectly in my 1500 sqft home. Recently I have started having issues with my the WiFi dropping off of my phone and other devices. I can be 2 feet from the device and it will drop out, reconnect and drop again. The software is up to date and I continuously pull between 90-170mbs wirelessly. Any suggestions and to the cause? It’s starting to get really annoying.
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Would be useful to know your configuration -- make model of cable modem, make model of Orbi, Firmware version and if you have satellites.

Once we know that, the configuration of the GUI (advanced wireless) settings would be useful to know.

Message 2 of 7
Sdpoorman
Aspirant

I have an Arris Surfboard model SB6141.
My Orbi model is an RBR20. Firmware version is 2.2.1.210. I have one satellite in my house as well.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Sdpoorman wrote:
I have had the Orbi system for almost 8 months with no issues. Everything worked perfectly in my 1500 sqft home. Recently I have started having issues with my the WiFi dropping off of my phone and other devices. I can be 2 feet from the device and it will drop out, reconnect and drop again. The software is up to date and I continuously pull between 90-170mbs wirelessly. Any suggestions and to the cause? It’s starting to get really annoying.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Sdpoorman wrote:
I have an Arris Surfboard model SB6141.
My Orbi model is an RBR20. Firmware version is 2.2.1.210. I have one satellite in my house as well.

- What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi please?

- Do you use wired or wireless backhaul between router and satellite?

- As asked by @Chuck_M , can you please list what settings you have under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Wireless Settings >> in the web GUI (orbilogin.com)

Message 5 of 7
Sdpoorman
Aspirant

Home is about 1300sqft, wood frame. Very open. The router and the satellite are about 20 ft a part. It had been working fine and these issues just recently started.

Can I change all those settings in the app? I was looking for the options to do that and couldn’t find where to.
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would move the satellite a bit farther away, 20 feet is too close. 30 feet is a good starting point for placement. 

To make changes you'll need a PC or latop connected to the router and use a web browser to make changes at orbilogin.com in the browser. 

@Sdpoorman wrote:
Home is about 1300sqft, wood frame. Very open. The router and the satellite are about 20 ft a part. It had been working fine and these issues just recently started.

Can I change all those settings in the app? I was looking for the options to do that and couldn’t find where to.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7