Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connections to Orbi vs Satelite

Birddog26
Aspirant

Connections to Orbi vs Satelite

I am total rookie when it comes to Networking.  When I look at the network map on the app, it shows a number of devices connected to the main orbi on main floor and on the satellite upstairs.  I have a smart TV on the main floor and the connection doesn’t not seem great.  I have been able to determine that is  is connecting to my satellite upstairs, it says its on the 2.4 GHZ band, and the link rate is 52mps.  Why isn’t it connecting to the main orbi on the same floor and why is it connecting to the 2.4 vs the 5.0.  Other devices are connecting to the 5.0 GHZ with higher link rates.  Can you control which ORBI it connects to, the band and the link rate?  I want The Smart TV to have the best connection.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

How far away is the TV from the RBR or RBS.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain if you only have 1 RBS, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

The client devices determine which frequency they will connect to. 

Is the TV 5Ghz supporiting or only 2.4Ghz supporting? 

@Birddog26 wrote:

I am total rookie when it comes to Networking.  When I look at the network map on the app, it shows a number of devices connected to the main orbi on main floor and on the satellite upstairs.  I have a smart TV on the main floor and the connection doesn’t not seem great.  I have been able to determine that is  is connecting to my satellite upstairs, it says its on the 2.4 GHZ band, and the link rate is 52mps.  Why isn’t it connecting to the main orbi on the same floor and why is it connecting to the 2.4 vs the 5.0.  Other devices are connecting to the 5.0 GHZ with higher link rates.  Can you control which ORBI it connects to, the band and the link rate?  I want The Smart TV to have the best connection.

Message 2 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Birddog26 wrote:

I want The Smart TV to have the best connection.

Just curious....does your Smart TV work?  Are you able to stream movies and such?  If so, why worry?

Message 3 of 15
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

In my experience, if you reboot your Smart TV it should try and connect to the nearest Orbi WiFi SSID on the 5Ghz band; if supported by your Smart TV?

CheerZ and goodluck 🙂

Message 4 of 15
Birddog26
Aspirant

My Smart TV does work but it is Laggy, that is why I started looking into it.  Sometimes it just pauses

Message 5 of 15
Birddog26
Aspirant

BTW - the Samrt TV is Samsung - 75" Class - LED - NU8000 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

I beleive it should connect with 5.0 band and higher rate.  The reason I purhcased the Orbi to begin with was so I could stream HD TV easily with good resolution

Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Birddog26 wrote:

BTW - the Samrt TV is Samsung - 75" Class - LED - NU8000 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

I beleive it should connect with 5.0 band and higher rate.  The reason I purhcased the Orbi to begin with was so I could stream HD TV easily with good resolution

Did you ever provide your firmware version?  Has your network and TV ever worked well?

Message 7 of 15
Birddog26
Aspirant

The TV has worked well in the past, I really never looked to see what band it connects to.  It seems every once in a while that changes.  I did power cycle both the orbi and the TV.  the TV is still just connecting to the 2.4 Ghz Band.  I do not know where to check the Firmware version

Message 8 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Birddog26 wrote:

The TV has worked well in the past, I really never looked to see what band it connects to.  It seems every once in a while that changes.  I did power cycle both the orbi and the TV.  the TV is still just connecting to the 2.4 Ghz Band.  I do not know where to check the Firmware version

You can see your firmware version when you login to your Orbi router on your PC.  

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings, uncheck the "enable 2.4G SSID Broadcast". Save settings and reboot the RBR and TV. See if the TV connects to the 5G frequency and streams better.

@Birddog26 wrote:

Message 10 of 15
Birddog26
Aspirant

Probably should have mentioned this earlier.  I have my router as an access point, configured like this:  https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

I am not at home so I can not check firmware version.  I am writing this from work.  What do I do when I check the firmware later tonight?  What am I looking for ? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Birddog26 wrote:

Probably should have mentioned this earlier.  I have my router as an access point, configured like this:  https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

I am not at home so I can not check firmware version.  I am writing this from work.  What do I do when I check the firmware later tonight?  What am I looking for ? 

When you get logged in, look to your top right of the login page.  I use Chrome and that's where I see it.

Message 12 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this, Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings, uncheck the "enable 2.4G SSID Broadcast". Save settings and reboot the RBR and TV. See if the TV connects to the 5G frequency and streams better.

@Birddog26 wrote:

...just curious to your thought process here.  IF the change is made to force the TV to 5g and it does connect and improves the TV performance, then what?  What about the 2.4 side? Does the user operate the network on a single band??

Message 13 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Birddog26 wrote:

When you get logged in, look to your top right of the login page.  I use Chrome and that's where I see it.

WOW....the rest of the story.  Yeah, you'll need to provide more details about your entire network.

Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Birddog26 wrote:

Any progress on this? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7