Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connectivity Issues. Orbi65 with Xfinity Modem Router combo. Bridge or Access point or?

EtVous
Aspirant

Connectivity Issues. Orbi65 with Xfinity Modem Router combo. Bridge or Access point or?

I have an Xfinity Modem / (Dual Band) Router Combo.  I used to use a Netgear Nighthawk X6 router (with the Xfinity combo unit) that our family was very happy with!  Lots of computers, phones, tablets, Xbox, Roku, etc... all with good speed and stability!

A few months ago I replaced the Nighthawk with an Orbi65 simply because I wanted more wifi DISTANCE out to our detached garage.  I used an ethernet cord to set up the Orbi Router next to my Xfinity Modem/Router and I put the Orbi sattellite in the garage.  All was well!  I got good connection everywhere including the furthest point in my outbuilding.  As users, we could choose to log into the Xfinity Router or the Orbi Router.  I only put my printers on the Xfinity,  though for example.

Recently, and perhaps it was the Orbi upgrade everybody is complaining about, we are having major connectivity issues!!  Wifi drops on and off, Netflix on Wifi buffers more than not, and many websites on computer randomly do not connect and we get an error message that says "no file, no directory" or it asks for an authorization code.  I'm unplugging and resetting a lot.  My wifi printers no longer connect.  I'm ready to throw Orbi in the trash!

I've done additional research and see that people suggest "bridging" or using Orbi as an "access point".  

As I understand, this means that I either turn off the router capability on the Xfinity combo unit and just use it as a modem only and use the Orbi as the only router. OR I use the Xfinity Modem / Router combo and change the setting on the Orbi to make it simply an Access Point.  Am I understanding this correctly and if so, which option will get me the fastest, most reliable wifi for my family?  Or is there a better option?  And how do I go about setting up the best configuration?

Thank you so much for your input! 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Connectivity Issues. Orbi65 with Xfinity Modem Router combo. Bridge or Access point or?

Will I need a second satellite in the house because the Orbi router itself doesn't have much coverage for my house or because it by itself may no longer reach as far as the satellite in the garage? 

Could be both.  However, I would try with what you have first, because it might work.  Logically, if you were using the Orbi router and another AP to cover inside the house before, and you turn off the other AP, you might need a satellite in the house for complete coverage.  The other issue is if the new firmware gives you reduced range from sat-router. If that happens, you could possibly shorten the distance by putting that second satellite in between the router and existing satellite in the garage. 

Also, is the daisy chain capability something that I need to manually set up or will it do it automatically when I add the extra satellite?

The daisy-chain mode can be selected in the router GUI. It was enabled by default on my system. I only have one sat though, so I've never tried to daisy-chain.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Re: Connectivity Issues. Orbi65 with Xfinity Modem Router combo. Bridge or Access point or?

Running more than one WiFi access point in the same space will cause problems, unless you can manually set channels and power such that they do not overlap. Orbi doesn't allow full control over the channel usage or power, so it's not a good idea to run it alongside other WiFi access points.

Your understanding about the two approaches is correct. Either one should give you the same WiFi coverage. In either case, you want to Turn off WiFi on your Xfinity.

AP mode is probably the easiest to move to.  Just turn off WiFi on your Xfinity and switch Orbi to AP mode. If you have only one satellite and it's in the garage, you may find you need a second satellite for the house.

Note that the most recent firmware seems to have reduced the satellite to router range for some folks, so it could impact your ability to run the satellite from your garage.  On the other hand, the new daisy-chain capability between satellites could help with that if you have a second satellite. 

Message 2 of 6
EtVous
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply.  It makes sense.  I just have a couple of follow-up questions.  

Will I need a second satellite in the house because the Orbi router itself doesn't have much coverage for my house or because it by itself may no longer reach as far as the satellite in the garage?  Also, is the daisy chain capability something that I need to manually set up or will it do it automatically when I add the extra satellite?

Thank you again!!  

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Will I need a second satellite in the house because the Orbi router itself doesn't have much coverage for my house or because it by itself may no longer reach as far as the satellite in the garage? 

Could be both.  However, I would try with what you have first, because it might work.  Logically, if you were using the Orbi router and another AP to cover inside the house before, and you turn off the other AP, you might need a satellite in the house for complete coverage.  The other issue is if the new firmware gives you reduced range from sat-router. If that happens, you could possibly shorten the distance by putting that second satellite in between the router and existing satellite in the garage. 

Also, is the daisy chain capability something that I need to manually set up or will it do it automatically when I add the extra satellite?

The daisy-chain mode can be selected in the router GUI. It was enabled by default on my system. I only have one sat though, so I've never tried to daisy-chain.

Message 4 of 6
EtVous
Aspirant

Okay great.  Thanks again for the help and great information.

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

No problem.  Let us know how you make out.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7