Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connectivity Issues With Certain Devices

Eluder
Star

Connectivity Issues With Certain Devices

I switched to an Orbi Router and Single Satellite kit a couple of days ago from a Nighthawk X6 and have been having some really odd issues with connectivity on multiple devices since moving to the Orbi.

One of my Google Home's just lost connection to the router and I couldn't get it going again until I factory reset the Home.

My receiver (Denon AVR-S920W) had trouble connecting to the Orbi wirelessly and it took 2 or 3 tries before it finally worked.

My WD My Cloud (NAS) connected wired wouldn't function properly until I reset it's configuration a few times and rebooted the device many times.

My PS4 Pro also didn't connect to the Orbi after the first try and I had to try a couple of times before it would connect.

I'm running the latest firmware (1.5.0.12) on both the router and the satellite and I did a factory reset after updating the firmware and reconfiguring the Orbi kit. I updated the firmware right when I opened the kit so it's been on this firmware the whole time since I've been using it.

All these devices worked perfectly fine when I was using the Nighthawk X6 yesterday so I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the Orbi, but is this anyone else's experience with the Orbi, could this just be firmware troubles, or do I simply have a bad Orbi kit?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
Pesto242
Star

Had a problem with my pool automation device, TV and Denon receiver. I got the TV and Denon working with a new orbi firmware. But if I remember that was back around 1.2 version.

I got the pool device working just recently on 1.5 turning off qos wmm on 2.4ghz (which is what the device used).
Message 2 of 10
unicorntraveler
Aspirant

I bought this router last week because it is supposed to be so easy to set up and use. 

I have seen nowhere that if you have an existing modem router, without any options it just changes the ip of the Orbi. That then stuffed with all my Alexas and Lifx lights.

I finally found an old modem and, after factory defaulting Orbi, I was able to get back to 192.168.1.1.

I now have a somewhat functioning network at home but I would really like to get some answers to the following questions.

1 How can I stop the 5g network? I think it is the reason why my lifx bulbs don't work. I can find them on reset but when the app switches back the network it can no longer find the bulb and so the tethering fails. I assume that because I am using galaxy S7 edge,  I connect to 5g and the lifx only uses 2.4g.

Please help on this.

2 I have 2 surface 3 notebooks and initially they connected to the orbi without trouble but recently, first one, then 3 days later the other no longer have internet access on my network. Connect to wifi ok but no internet. when I switch to gurest network all is ok. What could the reason for that be?

Please help with this as well. I only have until Thursday to take the orbi back for a refund.

kind regards

Martin Brinkmann

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 10
Pesto242
Star

Unicorn, on

#1 under advanced, wireless there are options to turn off the 2.4 or 5g radios.

#2 I think that is a surface issue. I have the surface 3 pro and have always had WiFi issues (before orbi). Also read lots of people have surface 3 WiFi issues. I don't have any disconnect issues with my 2 Lenovo laptops or my tablet's.
Message 4 of 10
unicorntraveler
Aspirant

Thanks for that. I tried to turn off 5g in advanced but it kicked off the satelite as well. 

Has anyone had any luck with LIFX bulbs?

Message 5 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you read this forum, you will see that the Orbi router system is plagued with wifi disconnect issues on devices.  Been this way for 6 months.

Message 6 of 10
JMU1998
Luminary

Netgear Engineering apparently are aware of these issues but a Firmware to address these issues has still not been released hopefully soon.

Message 7 of 10
Eluder
Star

I sure hope something is done soon or I may have to return the Orbi and go back to a regular router setup.
Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Like already said, don't believe their support. They have been saying this for 6 months and the reason many are leaving now.
Message 9 of 10
Eluder
Star

Good point. My X6 ended up being the worst router I've ever owned from a firmware support standpoint, it's just all the Orbi reviews were positive figured netgear improved their quality of firmware, but I guess that wasn't the case. I guess I'll return the kit on the weekend and look for an alternate option.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7