Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connectivity loss when switching back to the router from satellite

Connectivity loss when switching back to the router from satellite

Wonedring if anyone else is seeing an issue similar to the below. At this point I've replaced the Orbi router, had a spare, with no success in correcting the problem. The Orbi is running in AP mode directly connected to a router. This happens in router mode as well.

Two satellites on each end of the house. When walking to one side of the house the satellite takes over with limited or no impact as expected. When I walk back to the Orbi base router the same thing happens. Everything is good.

When walking towards the other satellite it takes over as expected BUT when walking back to the router the switchover takes place, I can see the WiFi signal integrity change as expected, but I can no longer pass traffic to my LOCAL network. Nothing on my 192.168.1.x network is reachable / pingable except the router plugged directly into the WAN port and the Internet. If I power off the second satellite everything returns to normal about 20 seconds later.

I'm running the latest firmware, as mentioned replaced the router (since it is what I had) and have reset everything on multiple occassions. Not sure if this is an issue but since I needed to satellites, and like to have spare equipment, I did purchase two router / satellite combinations. One of the satellites is from the second unit but I'm not sure which is which.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

In the event anyone comes across this thread with a similar issue... bad hardware. Netgear agreed to do an RMA of the satellite unit and it arrived earlier this week. After replacing the old unit everything is working as expected. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Glenee
Apprentice

Have you tried unplugging one of the satellite's at a time to see if one of them is the culprit ?

Message 2 of 6

It's appears to be satellite #2. When the problem presents some but not all addresses on the local subnet are reachable and it only happens when roaming from satellite #2 to the router and back, etc. 

Satellite #1 is connected directly to an ethernet switch and being used almost as a wireless bridge. Most of the devices are sitting behind it and are reachable from any device that does not roam to satellite #2 at anytime. Roaming to #2 and back causes the problem on any device - apple, android, windows, etc.

Interestingly enough when the problem hits the impacted device satellite #2 is not pingable from the device. Any other devices, which have not been roaming, can reach it. Changing the MAC address of the impacted device also corrects the issue.

Really odd. Going to call support tomorrow.

Message 3 of 6
Glenee
Apprentice

I remember early on some of the people having trouble with the satellite plugged into ethernet switch's, but I haven't heard of it in a while so I thought it was fixed with a firmware update.

Message 4 of 6

Contacted support today and downgraded the firmware and removed a device from the switch and connected it directly to satellite #1. I was hopeful the issue might go away but same issue with the directly attached device. Waiting on a response but I'll update this thread when I know more. 

Message 5 of 6

In the event anyone comes across this thread with a similar issue... bad hardware. Netgear agreed to do an RMA of the satellite unit and it arrived earlier this week. After replacing the old unit everything is working as expected. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7