Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Considering Orbi RBK50 for home use

graeallan
Aspirant

Considering Orbi RBK50 for home use

Hi, I am looking at buying Orbi RBK50 dual unit as new home wifi with BT Infinity Broadband.

I would welcome any recent experience from the community.

Looking at the Orbi tech manual, it has many chapters on IPv6 and seems to say very little about IPV4 which is what I am familiar with. Are there any comments on using IPV4 exclusively across a Master and one Orbi Satellite in a normal home environment?

Thanks, Grae

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@st_shaw wrote:

@graeallan wrote:

Thanks.

I have one network device that needs a static ip... Any experience of using static IP with Orbi?

G.

You can set an Address Reservation on Orbi, so Orbi's DHCP server will always assign the same IP to that device.

That answered a different question. The answer to the question posed is that Orbi has no issues with true static IPv4 addresses assigned on the devices (as opposed to reserved on the router). I have loads of devices with static addresses, and I prefer static to DHCP assigned addresses in general. Why deal with DHCP request traffic if you don't have to?

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 8

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Orbi works great for me. I'm running in access point mode behind a more techincal router, because I need IPSEC VPN and other features Orbi doesn't offer.  If your home doesn't have Ethernet wiring already built-in then Orbi is a good choice.

IPV6 is not widely deployed yet, so IPV4 is the way the majority of Orbis are being used.  There are no issues with IPV4.

Message 2 of 8
graeallan
Aspirant

Thanks.

I have one network device that needs a static ip... Any experience of using static IP with Orbi?

G.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units to be aware of:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@graeallan wrote:

Thanks.

G.

You can set an Address Reservation on Orbi, so Orbi's DHCP server will always assign the same IP to that device.

Message 5 of 8
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@st_shaw wrote:

@graeallan wrote:

Thanks.

G.

That answered a different question. The answer to the question posed is that Orbi has no issues with true static IPv4 addresses assigned on the devices (as opposed to reserved on the router). I have loads of devices with static addresses, and I prefer static to DHCP assigned addresses in general. Why deal with DHCP request traffic if you don't have to?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 8
graeallan
Aspirant

Thanks for all the comments.

It looks like it will do the job.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck and enjoy.