Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Constant dropping (wired and wireless) with two wireless satellites and one wired

pburgh19
Aspirant

Constant dropping (wired and wireless) with two wireless satellites and one wired

I've been having an issue with daisy-chaining not working quite right, so I decided to hardwire one of my furthest satellites back to the RBR50 base.  At first, everything was good and the hardwired satellite provided increased performance.  However, a few hours later the system started dropping all over the place.  Wired and wireless connections are affected.

If I turn off the hardwired satellite, things settle down and performance is fine.   Why would this be?   

A quick run-down of the archicture:

Orbi RBR50 is connected directly to the modem.  One LAN port is connected to an 8 port Netgear switch.  That switch is connected to two Netgear PoE switches (for security system).  The hardwired satellite is connected to a non-PoE port on one of the PoE switches.  There are no other DHCP servers on the network.  

Here the Orbi gear I'm running:

RBR50

FIrmware: V2.1.4.16

Satellite RBS50 (3 units)
Firmware: V2.1.4.16

Satellite RBS50Y (1 unit)
Firmware: V2.1.4.16

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Constant dropping (wired and wireless) with two wireless satellites and one wired

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Daisy chain has to be disabled if your using wired connections between router and satellites.

Message 2 of 12
pburgh19
Aspirant

Re: Constant dropping (wired and wireless) with two wireless satellites and one wired

Answers in bold

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected to? 

Technicolor DPC3216 (from Spectrum in Maine)

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 

~5,000

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

The one that is hard-wired is 140' away from the router.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Using Auto, will try manual

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

None

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Daisy chain has to be disabled if your using wired connections between router and satellites.

Will try that as well, thank you

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 4 of 12
pburgh19
Aspirant

Using a different LAN port on the hardwired satellite seems to have calmed the waters.  Does it matter which port you use for ethernet backhaul?  

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Really? Wow. Shouldn't matter. So what port were you using and what are you using now?

Message 6 of 12
pburgh19
Aspirant

I'm not expecting it to last... but I went from left most to right most ports.  

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also set up a IP address reservation for the satellite(s) ON the router. This could be an issue maybe if there is a IP address conflict with the satellite and another device...

Message 8 of 12
pburgh19
Aspirant

And that's reserved using the satellite MAC address, correct?  There's no way to assign a static IP on the satellite as far as I've seen.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Reserve IP address of the satellite ON the router.

Message 10 of 12
pburgh19
Aspirant

Done, thank you.  We'll see how well this performance sticks!  🙂

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7