Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Constant issues with Orbi/Neato and Orbi VPN with Zoom and Skype

Vrtualized
Aspirant

Constant issues with Orbi/Neato and Orbi VPN with Zoom and Skype

Ever since I hooked up my Orbi I have had constant issues. It has been the most unstable router set that I have ever used. But that isn't the worst part. I literally cannot use video with Zoom or Skype through a VPN. And now my Neato robot cannot "Register to the cloud" since I reset my Neato D5 Connected. Can someone please help suggest a fix for both of these? I have tried checking the box "Disable SIP ASG" and that helped nothing. I don't think I will ever get an Orbi device again.
Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 6
Vrtualized
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Here are the things I will do. Something to note that prior to putting in the Orbi I had no issues with interference from other networks and I was on a 2.4 and 5GHz system at that point (Asus R60). I am not going to perform those steps of taking the channels off of Auto. If I need to do that I am just going to replace the Orbi (as the problem I am facing is not anything to do with signal strength. Same thing happens right in front of router).

Here is my Firmware version:

Orbi: V2.5.1.16

ATT Gigabit with ATT 5268AC router: I have placed the port I have Orbi connected to into the DMZ of the ATT router

I will start going through the rest of the settings, but I would love someone with same type of issues to chime in if they have seen this problem with VPNs and Registration of Neato. Anyone out there?

Background on me: I have been in enterprise grade IT for 13 years so any of the basics I have hit (factory restore, swap out for older routers to see if problem still exists which it doesnt, Disabled SIP ASG, etc)

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would search the forums on VPN posts to see if anything stands out. Also contact the Neato VPN mfr for additional help and info as well. 

Message 4 of 6
Vrtualized
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I believe there are about 4 other forums with the same suggestions from you and none of them solve the issue. I think it is time that engineers at Netgear come in and realize this is a huge problem and needs to be fixed. Please someone from Netgear see all the forums with VPN issues with Zoom/Skype etc. This needs to be fixed asap. I think I am going to switch back to my old network and back to Linksys and Asus. 

Message 5 of 6
DarkNet
Apprentice

I don’t have a Neato Robot but both my wife and I are working from home in separate home ‘offices’ and we both VPN to different entities at the same time, have webex and Zoom meetings, and run other services as well without issue.  I will say however that I’m only using my ORBI’s (RBR20 and RBS20) as WAPs.  I have a pfSense box that is my router.  I know these problems are frustrating.   Did you say you were using your ORBI in router mode but also have an ATT router?   I would try putting the ORBI in AP mode and NOT router mode.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7