Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Constant lag spikes while gaming on PS4

Kbomb20
Aspirant

Constant lag spikes while gaming on PS4

Hello. I just bought the Orbi RBK50 system and configured it in my house. Everything looks great and I am getting 200-300mb in my basement where I have my satellite. I tried gaming on my PS4 through my WiFi and I’m getting constant lag spikes throughout my entire game. So I switch it up and hardwire my connection to my satellite but I get the same performance. Recently, I had a default router provided by Charter/Specturm that has out performed the Orbi. I didn’t have any lag spikes while playing online.

Can someone please him me to resolve this connection issues to my PS4? If not, I will be returning this item to the store. Thanks.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Constant lag spikes while gaming on PS4

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Connect the PS via wired LAN cable. Do you see same problem? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 2 of 11
Kbomb20
Aspirant

Firmware: V2.2.1.210

Modem: Arris TM1602

ISP: Charter/Specturm 400MB

I have not see the same problem with my router

My house is 1999 sqft

The satellite is in my finished basement while the base unit is on the first floor. They are only about 15-20ft away

Channel: 2.4Ghz is Auto and 5Ghz is 48

I can see about 5 other wifi signals

My router was was new so I do not know what the FW was before I upgraded it.

I am currently testing out Port Forwarding on my PS4 hoping it will fix the issue as well/

Message 3 of 11
Kbomb20
Aspirant

This is day two using the router and I’ve seen slight quick pauses in streaming PlayStation Vue on my Amazon Fire TV. My Fire TV is about 5 feet away from my base unit.

I also noticed that I couldn’t hard reset my router yesterday when testing other changes
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@Kbomb20 wrote:

Firmware: V2.2.1.210

Modem: Arris TM1602

ISP: Charter/Specturm 400MB

I have not see the same problem with my router

My house is 1999 sqft

The satellite is in my finished basement while the base unit is on the first floor. They are only about 15-20ft away

This is too close. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Channel: 2.4Ghz is Auto and 5Ghz is 48

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I can see about 5 other wifi signals

My router was was new so I do not know what the FW was before I upgraded it.

I am currently testing out Port Forwarding on my PS4 hoping it will fix the issue as well/

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 5 of 11
Kbomb20
Aspirant

I believe my Daisy Chain was enabled by default once I upgraded. I have most of these others disabled already but I will make sure and test.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now. Also move the satellite farther away from the base as well. 

Message 7 of 11
Kbomb20
Aspirant

So I had a much better experience. Since I tried all the fixes at once not sure what fixed it. I might turn things back on to see what helped. From what I’ve read, the port forwarding has a big impact on the PS4.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. You shouldn't need to use any PF if you have uPnP enabled. 

Glad something has helped. 

Message 9 of 11
Kbomb20
Aspirant

What is UnPN
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Universal Plug n Play auto handles port usage and assignment for devices. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7