Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Continual Drop outs of internet and erratic app vs web status

MRCW
Aspirant

Continual Drop outs of internet and erratic app vs web status

Have the Orbo RBR20 and two RBS20 set up. has generally worked flawlessly the past 11 months. the past month, have had constant drops of internet only, erratic status between app and web to log into system.

I have about 30 devices on wifi and about 4 on hardwire.

What could have happened in the past month to have caused this? So dissapointing.

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Continual Drop outs of internet and erratic app vs web status

Erratic behavior is difficult to diagnose.  A some questions usually asked are:

• Which firmware release is on all three Orbi units?
  • Is the Orbi in "router" or "Access Point" mode?
  • What is the Orbi connected to (brand/model).
  • Has "anything changed" in the past month?  New firmware?  New devices? 
  • Do you ever "reboot" the Orbis?  (not "Factory Reset".  Simply "reboot".)
    (There is a button on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, under "Router Information", or one can turn the power off, wait a minute, then turn it back on.)

Message 2 of 7
MRCW
Aspirant

Hardware Version RBR20
Firmware Version V2.3.5.26
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.360
Operation Mode Router
LAN Port
MAC Address 3C:37:86:13:1A:27
IP Address 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server On

Router RBR20 RBR20 V2.3.5.26 
Satellite RBS20 Orbi Satellite-2 study V2.3.5.26 
Satellite RBS20 Orbi Satellite-1 family room V2.3.5.26 

Connected to Spectrum Router 

Nothing changed except constantly dropping internet. I do not know if firmware was recently updated. I do not know how to track the history of firmware. it is set to Auto update and when i run manual update, it shows no new firmware available.

Have "Rebooted" from App. have also done a complete new set up as well

When I log on to system with app, it often says only one or no satellites are connected, when i the website, it shows all satellites are connected

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a ISP modem with a built in router, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@MRCW wrote:

Hardware Version RBR20
Firmware Version V2.3.5.26
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.360
Operation Mode Router
LAN Port
MAC Address 3C:37:86:13:1A:27
IP Address 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server On

Router RBR20 RBR20 V2.3.5.26 
Satellite RBS20 Orbi Satellite-2 study V2.3.5.26 
Satellite RBS20 Orbi Satellite-1 family room V2.3.5.26 

Connected to Spectrum Router 

Nothing changed except constantly dropping internet. I do not know if firmware was recently updated. I do not know how to track the history of firmware. it is set to Auto update and when i run manual update, it shows no new firmware available.

Have "Rebooted" from App. have also done a complete new set up as well

When I log on to system with app, it often says only one or no satellites are connected, when i the website, it shows all satellites are connected

Message 4 of 7
MRCW
Aspirant

Thanks for your response, but many of your responses seem to be just canned messages... In my instance NOTHING changed from initial set up that worked great

Everything was working great, No change in anything until last month when much of the service became erratic. Same ISP, Same Modem, Same Settings, No built in Router in modem Satellites are in the same position, about 30 feet apart. No Disney, No Armour...

It seems that this was as issue initiated within the netgear system via a firmware or bug.. I hope others with similar problems may have found a solution and could post it

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you did post that "Connected to Spectrum Router" 

So does the modem have a rourter build in or not. Which is it? There is reason why we ask for the MFr and model # of modems so we can help verify what configuration the modem supports. Canned responce or not, responses are valid and many users have modems with built in routers.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If you think there has been a FW update then Power OFF The modem and RBR for 1 minute then back ON with the modem first, then RBR.

You may need to factory reset the system and setup from scratch. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you don't think any of the canned suggestions will work for you then you'll need to make contact with NG support. Maybe then they can help you.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@MRCW wrote:

Everything was working great, No change in anything until last month when much of the service became erratic. Same ISP, Same Modem, Same Settings, No built in Router in modem Satellites are in the same position, about 30 feet apart. No Disney, No Armour...

Not to be picky, but I did not see a response to, "Have the Orbi units been rebooted?"

One of the ugly situations with programming is that sometimes tiny errors gradually "build up" until they cause something to fail.  Heck, my year old Sony smart phone reminds me every month, "It has been 28 days since you restarted the phone.  Please do so now."  In the "old days", we used to reboot almost everything weekly, if not more often.  There are thousands of lines of code in modern devices, and it seems like there are always bugs of one sort or another.  If memory has gradually, slowly been corrupted, sometimes a reboot fixes things (until it happens again).  If a reboot doesn't help, the recommendation is often to perform a "Factory Reset" and start over with a "clean slate".

(I confess. I never reboot my Orbi RBR50 and RBS50.  But then, I have not noticed anything "wrong.")

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7