Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Continual internet/satellite/router disconnect

Oliverpool
Guide

Continual internet/satellite/router disconnect

Has everyone given up on orbi? I have TWo rbk50 sets and they both give me disconnect issues. Slow connectivity and basically useless. Worse then my single router previously. They are in
Totally different locations, different service providers, different devices connected, one on v11 and one on the v12 and basically it’s just a half baked product that does not have a stable firmware. No one seems to know what the problem is. Am totally disappointed and I will never consider another netgear product ever.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
Jenningsjs
Aspirant

Re: Continual internet/satellite/router disconnect

May I ask what router you are using in this configuration? I've read similar problems with both Orbi and the CM1000 router. I've been wondering if many of the people with these problems are using them both together. Also, did you leave your original modem in place and put the Orbi router in WAP mode? Thanks and good luck.
Message 2 of 9
martyfp
Luminary

@Oliverpool wrote:
Has everyone given up on orbi? 

Nope - mine works just fine.  

Message 3 of 9
Oliverpool
Guide

One is in ap mode the other is in router mode. I believe the router mode one is still on the latest v1.12 firmware.
Message 4 of 9
martyfp
Luminary

I use router mode with the latest v2.0.xx firmware which you can download from here :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-0-availability/m-p/1368730#M13446

It fixed many users issues with stability so certainly worth a shot.

Message 5 of 9
Jenningsjs
Aspirant

I also meant to ask, did you ensure wireless was turned off on the original cable modem? Sometimes the dual signal can cause issues.
Message 6 of 9
Oliverpool
Guide

Yes.  For the AP mode, there are no other wireless router switched on other then my neighbours....

@Jenningsjs wrote:
I also meant to ask, did you ensure wireless was turned off on the original cable modem? Sometimes the dual signal can cause issues.

Message 7 of 9
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Oliverpool wrote:
Has everyone given up on orbi? I have TWo rbk50 sets and they both give me disconnect issues. Slow connectivity and basically useless. Worse then my single router previously. ...

Frankly, it's a mystery to me why some people have so much trouble, and others find it much more stable. For me it has been rock solid except for one issue which I'll get to later.

I would recommend you upgrade to 2.0 firmware, reset to default settings and then change only the things you need to, don't turn off beamforming and other enhancements.

Also I would recommend turn off UPnP as that caused me some issues with one of my devices on the network causing dropouts to the internet for other devices. I don't know if 2.0 fixes this, but I don't care as I don't really need UPnP for now. 

I've been running first on 1.12 and now for 2.0 for several weeks without a single drop. And I use some sensative applications that would notice a disconnect however brief.

Message 8 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you are still having dissconect issues after updating to the 2.0 Firmware and have tried a factory reset send me a Pm with your name, email, and phone number and I will get you in contact with support.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7