Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Correct Orbi Router Connection

akwebman
Follower

Correct Orbi Router Connection

Thinking of buying Orbi for my house, 2,600 sq ft.  Thinking of Orbi BRK50 specifically?  Entire house is wired CAT 6 ethernet.  Two story house. Two questions.

1. Does the Orbi router module have to be plugged into my Frontier FiOS router and then the from the Orbi into the house ethernet system to drive all the wired wall ports? Or, can I plug the Orbi router into any CAT6 ethernet port in the house? (It would seem logical I could plug into any ethernet port, a port is a port)

2.  Will the BRK50 give me better coverage and speed than the BRK40 or BRK30? Will the BRK50 cause interference since it is a 5,000 sq ft model?

Thanks

Need better wifi coverage

Kenny

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Correct Orbi Router Connection

Depend if you want to use the Orbi system as the main host router or if you want to keep the FIOS as your router. If you want to use the Orbi routers as the main router, then it's recommended to bridge this router or use its DMZ for the Orbi router. 

If you want to keep the FIOS routers as the main router, you can use the Orbi in AP mode and connect it at any port on your network. 

I have a 5000sq ft house and the AC220 router at one end and at Satellite at the far end servicing a PC and a DISH Joey on wireless bridge. Range and Performance has been wonderful inside and outside. ALso have the Satellite running LAN back haul as well. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Correct Orbi Router Connection

Honestly I would avoid Orbi. The system is totally unreliable. Just read the community page and you will read the stories of people spending hours and hours to try to have such an expensive Orbi setup do something very basic like not disconnect every 10min

Avoid at all costs 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7