Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Corrupted Firmware

Superdave132
Aspirant

Corrupted Firmware

After downloading 2.5.1.8 firmware from the RBR50 website, the router gave me a error 500 when I tried to upload the firmware to the router hte second time it . Is there a fix?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Corrupted Firmware

There is nothing to lose by trying a different browser.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 17

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I would download and unzip it again.

Message 2 of 17

.... and if possible do the update with a wired connection using a browser rather than a mobile app.

Read the Release Notes for instructions.

Message 3 of 17
Superdave132
Aspirant

My computer is a Asus rog g20 cb gaming computer hard wired to the orbi router. there is no mobile app in the chain.After downloading the image from the orbi site I try to upload it the the router and the router update page gives me a Error 500 when trying  to upload the firmware to the router making it impossible to update the firmware.

Message 4 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@Superdave132 wrote:

My computer is a Asus rog g20 cb gaming computer hard wired to the orbi router. there is no mobile app in the chain.After downloading the image from the orbi site I try to upload it the the router and the router update page gives me a Error 500 when trying  to upload the firmware to the router making it impossible to update the firmware.

Thanks for posting the screen shot.  That indeed appears to be the correct image file name for the RBR50 router and 2.5.1.8 firmware.  Can you post a screenshot of the 500 error?  I sometimes download so many copies of things that I get confused about "which one do I want" and keep opening the wrong one.  I have had to deliberately purge all previous copies and download again so that I have only one file to choose from.

Message 5 of 17

I can't remember if there is an intermediate firmware version between the 2.5.0.40 currently installed and the 2.5.1.8.

A while back there was an major update that required going through an intermediate version before you could apply the latest.

Message 6 of 17
Superdave132
Aspirant

Sure, Now It doesnt give me a Error 500 it just resets the connection when trying to upload the image to the router.

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I can't remember if there is an intermediate firmware version between the 2.5.0.40 currently installed and the 2.5.1.8.

A while back there was an major update that required going through an intermediate version before you could apply the latest.

The Release Notes only mention the long time caution that firmware 2.2.1.210 must be updated to 2.2.1.212 before updating to any more recent firmware.  As I recall, attempts to bypass this resulted in an error message about the firmware file being "too big", not the link failing.

At the conclusion of firmware update, the Orbi will reboot.  It has been so long now that I cannot remember exactly what happened to the web page when the Orbi rebooted.  Which browser are you using

Does the connection drop immediately, as in before the firmware file uploads?  before any sort of "progress bar" appears?

Message 8 of 17
Superdave132
Aspirant

Theres no progress bar, it just goes directly to  the oh snap page

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

There is nothing to lose by trying a different browser.

Message 10 of 17
Superdave132
Aspirant

Thanks Crimpon, that was the fix. I tried microsoft edge and it worked. the fix was so simple I overthought the issue.  

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Curious, which browser had you been using? 

@Superdave132 wrote:

Thanks Crimpon, that was the fix. I tried microsoft edge and it worked. the fix was so simple I overthought the issue.  

Message 12 of 17
Superdave132
Aspirant

I was using Firefox or Google Chrome. I had ublock origin installed and a flash block plugin which might have caused issues. I should have used a vanilla browser or private mode with no plugins for the router update.

Message 13 of 17
TehTarikMan
Tutor

I had a similar issue when updating the firmware. I tried this and managed to update the firmware.

1. Reboot both the RBR and satellite unit (turn-off, wait 5 minutes before powering up and wait a few minutes before you do anything). Make sure the satellite unit is connected back to main unit.

2. Update the Satellite unit first. Once updated, check on the dashboard if it's showing the correct firmware.

3. Then update the router unit.

Cheers,  

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Yes some security plug-ins can cause problems. Have a simple browser like FireFox or Opera with out any plug-ins is best to use for FW updates. 

Glad you got it working again. 

@Superdave132 wrote:

I was using Firefox or Google Chrome. I had ublock origin installed and a flash block plugin which might have caused issues. I should have used a vanilla browser or private mode with no plugins for the router update.

Message 15 of 17
Superdave132
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice, I dont have the satellite, Just the main router. 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation