Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Could the problems be from different hardware in the RBK50?

TECman51
Tutor

Could the problems be from different hardware in the RBK50?

I have read about some people having problems and others not.  I bought two RBK50 units from the same store at the same time but have not opened them yet.  The UPC codes and model numbers are the same.  The packaging (printed on the box) and the label with the "TA" numbers, and of course S/N, MAC addresses are different.  One of the printed Netgear trademark dates is 2016 and the other 2017.

Makes me question if some of these problems are related to the hardware used in certain units.  Any thoughts on that?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
Starbucky
Apprentice

I bought the RBK50 one month ago and it has been pretty stable, a couple hiccups... Knock on silicon..

The packaging / bottom of the box shows trademark Feb 2017 and the Quick Start Guide foldout is dated May 2017.

Message 2 of 9
Roamabout
Luminary

There has been speculation that hardware differences may be at the bottom of the issues but I dont recall anyone doing any research into that. I bought my Orbi system in ealy Feb and it has been in use now for 6 weeks. Running with 2.1.2.18 since day 1 and the Orbi has exceeded my expectations in every way - features, stability, performance.

Message 3 of 9
TECman51
Tutor

Thank you for the replys.  I was afraid no one would find this a valid topic.  I was going to set up one of the units today and was hoping for a clue on which units (old or new) were stable and which ones were having problems.  Otherwise I would just flip a coin and hope for the best. BTW, I am past my 90 days return on both of these.

Message 4 of 9
Starbucky
Apprentice

It'd be nice to be able interpret the mfg date, week number, factory, etc from the serial numbers sequence.

I'm new to the Orbi but it sounds like alot of the people having the major wifi and wan connection issues maybe have older models (2016).. maybe I'm wrong there.   

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

Message 6 of 9
loomis1975
Luminary

I have launch RBK50 hardware from late August or early September 2016.  No major problems after the opening months where mobile phone batteries were draining quickly from connecting and disconnecting to wifi all night, think it was mostly Samsung S6 and S7s at the time.

Just occassionally have to reboot, like once or twice a month, sometimes not for a couple months.

Currently running a RBR50, RBS50, RBS50Y, and a RBS40 2.1.2.18 and whatever the near equivalent number for the RBS50Y.  RBS40 in den downstairs daisy chains through the outside unit, RBS50Y, because something in my floor/ceiling between living room and den kills Wi-Fi signals pretty completely.

Message 7 of 9
TECman51
Tutor

Hmmm, interesting about your 2016 model being pretty stable.  Makes me wonder if it is some of the newer 2017 models that may be having the problems.  So, I'm really uncertain about which RBK50 I should start with... or is it not really a factor and I decide by flipping a coin.  Wish I had more input here to make an informed decision.

Message 8 of 9
timch
Luminary

My gut feeling is that it is not hardware.  My RBR50 and 1 satellite is rock solid on firmware 2.1.2.18.  It has currently been running for 65 days according to the stats tab.  It dates from Mar 2017.

My conclusion is that the issue is either environmentally based (although I live in a Wi-Fi congested city and my house is tall and narrow so pretty complex - the Orbi gives me fast Wi-Fi which no other system has been able to match) or possibly standards - I am in Europe and it seems most of the complaints are US based.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7