Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Couple of questions...

MachThree
Aspirant

Couple of questions...

Hi guys, I have an RBK50 system which I just got a few days ago, and I have a couple of questions.

1) I understand that Orbi reserves the higher number 5ghz channels for the backhaul when the backhaul is wireless.  If I use an ethernet backhaul do these channels become available for regular communications between client devices and the router/satellite?

2) What, if any, traffic filtering or blocking occurs between client devices connected to the network, and does it matter if some are connected one way and some are connected another way (i.e. one device connected via ethernet cable to the satellite and another via wifi to the router itself, should there be any issues with these devices communicating with each other?) 

I am asking because currently I have my PC attached to the satellite via ethernet cable, and I am attempting to control several Bose SoundTouch speakers (all connected via wifi to the router or the satellite) from the PC.  Some traffic is clearly flowing between them but one particular function, the Bose software on the PC acts as if its sent the commands but the speakers don't do anything to indicate that they were received, 100% of the time.  If I connect the PC via wifi (it will connect to the satellite as its physically right next to the PC) and try the same function, it still fails most of the time but succeeds occasionally.  Meanwhile, performing this function using iPad, iPhone or a different PC (all connected via WiFi) works flawlessly.  Unfortunately, I can't find any helpful info being logged either by the router, Windows, Bose's app etc.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Couple of questions...

@MachThree wrote:

Hi guys, I have an RBK50 system which I just got a few days ago, and I have a couple of questions.

1) I understand that Orbi reserves the higher number 5ghz channels for the backhaul when the backhaul is wireless.  If I use an ethernet backhaul do these channels become available for regular communications between client devices and the router/satellite?

No

2) What, if any, traffic filtering or blocking occurs between client devices connected to the network, and does it matter if some are connected one way and some are connected another way (i.e. one device connected via ethernet cable to the satellite and another via wifi to the router itself, should there be any issues with these devices communicating with each other?) 

Shouldn't be any blocking occuring...

I am asking because currently I have my PC attached to the satellite via ethernet cable, and I am attempting to control several Bose SoundTouch speakers (all connected via wifi to the router or the satellite) from the PC.  Some traffic is clearly flowing between them but one particular function, the Bose software on the PC acts as if its sent the commands but the speakers don't do anything to indicate that they were received, 100% of the time.  If I connect the PC via wifi (it will connect to the satellite as its physically right next to the PC) and try the same function, it still fails most of the time but succeeds occasionally.  Meanwhile, performing this function using iPad, iPhone or a different PC (all connected via WiFi) works flawlessly.  Unfortunately, I can't find any helpful info being logged either by the router, Windows, Bose's app etc.

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

I presume the speakers are connected wirelessly? 

You might contact the Mfr of the speakers to see if there is any help or configuration information regarding these speakers and use of them on the Orbi sysytem. 

if other devices are working with the speaker system and this one PC isn't, possible issue with this particular PC. 

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@MachThree wrote:

..............If I connect the PC via wifi (it will connect to the satellite as its physically right next to the PC) and try the same function, it still fails most of the time but succeeds occasionally.  Meanwhile, performing this function using iPad, iPhone or a different PC (all connected via WiFi) works flawlessly. 

Sounds like your devices can be connected to two different networks? What IP addresses are assigned to the devices in questin? Is your Orbi running in Router Mode? If yes, are you sure that your internet modem is set to bridge mode so that you will not end up with two routers?

Message 3 of 6
MachThree
Aspirant

Hi - I have the latest firmware, 2.2.1.210.  Daisy-Chaining shows as enabled in the router config website, though since I only have the one satellite would this make a difference in any case?    

I will have to check brand/model of my cable model but as far as I know it is just a cable modem (no built in wifi) and its not functioning as a router - in any case the cable guy plugged in my old router (NetGear WNDR4500) to it a few weeks ago when he installed my service and there were no issues of this sort.

The speakers are connected wirelessly and I have posted a question in Bose's support forum but as of yet, they haven't been able to help.  They did, however, recommend Orbi when I asked what mesh network products work well with their speakers so I think they've seen some success with Orbi.  

I'm not really sure the source of the issue.  It did start around the time I switched to Orbi but I also made some changes to the Bose configuration at that time as well.  I didn't make any changes to the PC in this time frame except to have it join the Orbi network.  The speakers previously worked pretty flawlessly with my old NetGear router, but as of around the time I installed the Orbi I'm experiencing several issues with them including the one I described.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 6
MachThree
Aspirant

Hi - as far as I know the cable modem is not in router mode.  I've only had it a few weeks (recently moved to new house) and previously was using NetGear WNDR4500 with it which didn't have any sort of issues with it (plus cable guy plugged my router directly in to the modem and it just worked at that point) just inadquate wifi coverage for the house, hence my Orbi purchase.  

The speakers I assigned reserved addresses to (192.168.1.201, 202 and 203) but before that I had the same problems when they were using non-reserved addresses and the addresses they were assigned were 192.168.1.3, 6 and 9.  I don't think there's any second wireless network they could be connecting to because a) my old router is off and b) the speakers have to be told which wi-fi network to connect to and provided the password/key for that network, which I've done.  I can also see them connected to the satellite / router in the router's admin web site (attached devices screen).

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

For this version of FW, leave the checkmark in Daisy Chain. So this will be actual Disabled since you only have one satellite, this will be fine. If you go wired with the satellite, continue to keep the check mark for Daisy Chain in the UI. 

You might test with the satellite turned off and see if your PC and Bose system behaves any differently. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7