Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Creating Alexa Speaker Groups on an Orbi Mesh Network.

Papalloyd
Aspirant

Creating Alexa Speaker Groups on an Orbi Mesh Network.

I have an ORBI mesh system (1 router, 3 satellites).  I also have a number of Alexa Echo devices.  We use speaker groups, including one call everyehre, that encompasses all of our dots.  Until recently, this worked great.

Recently, we just acquired 2 more DOts for Mother's day. When I tried to add them to the speaker group, I was unable to, being told that they were on different networks.  When I tried to recreate the group, I couldn't even recreate what used to be there.  Every time I added one Dot to the group, others became disabled, with no pattern.  In fact, one dot could pair with either one of 2 other dots, but not both.

Has anyone had any kind of experience like this?  Has anyone figured out how to work around this?

(Posting here, even though it is probably a combination of issues with the Echo Dots, Alexa App, and the mesh network.)

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Papalloyd
Aspirant

Re: Creating Alexa Speaker Groups on an Orbi Mesh Network.

Apparently, just asking the question fixes the problem.  I tried it again, and for some bizarre reason, I was able to form all of the groups again.  Not sure what changed, or if it just took a little while for the new Dots to introduce themselves, but I'm all good now.

Technology.  Gotta love it.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact Amazon for help, support and information regarding there products. 

Message 2 of 5
Papalloyd
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please contact Amazon for help, support and information regarding there products. 

The problem is that I am not sure if this is a problem with Amazon or Orbi, since Amazon seems to think that it is connected to several different networks, even though the Orbi mesh should appear as a single wireless network.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Do all of these Echo devices appear on the list of Attached Devices (web interface) or the Device Manager (Orbi "app") as connected to the Orbi?

Message 4 of 5
Papalloyd
Aspirant

Apparently, just asking the question fixes the problem.  I tried it again, and for some bizarre reason, I was able to form all of the groups again.  Not sure what changed, or if it just took a little while for the new Dots to introduce themselves, but I'm all good now.

Technology.  Gotta love it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7