Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Creating a secure Guest network with Orbi

KaneB
Aspirant

Creating a secure Guest network with Orbi

I have a guest network setup in my orbi and as I understand, it seems to be able to see other devices in the network and a guest device can also potentially take all the bandwidth since I cannot throttle the guest network bandwidth.

My question is, what would be my best option if I want to create a totally separate secure guest network which will not compete against my main network bandwidth? Can I just buy a cheap router, connect it to an Orbi satellite and expose it as a new AP?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
KaneB
Aspirant

For the benefit of others, I can confirm this works as a setup.

I bought a cheap GL inet travel router from Amazon which is about £16. It is fully featured and has the ability to limit bandwidth using its QOS features.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If the 2ndary router has the ability to control bandwidth there, then yes you could install another router for Guest only. You'd still be competing with bandwidth at the Orbi router and ISP services however. So the 2ndary router would need to have some options to help limit bandwidth at this point. 

Message 2 of 6
KaneB
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. 

Does Netgear have a router with bandwidth control on a hardware level? So instead of controlling it on a software level which they could potentially bypass. The actual hardware is only limited to a total of say 35mbps traffic?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Not that I know of. 

Message 4 of 6
KaneB
Aspirant

For the benefit of others, I can confirm this works as a setup.

I bought a cheap GL inet travel router from Amazon which is about £16. It is fully featured and has the ability to limit bandwidth using its QOS features.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements