Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Current Firmware issues

devdeep
Guide

Current Firmware issues

About to get Orbi and read some comments here about Firmware issues (updating, not workin etcc.). Are these issues still ongoing or is there a stable firmware now. Usually, having used Netgear products many times, I found it surprising to read about the firmware issues.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Current Firmware issues

@devdeep wrote:

About to get Orbi and read some comments here about Firmware issues (updating, not workin etcc.). Are these issues still ongoing or is there a stable firmware now. Usually, having used Netgear products many times, I found it surprising to read about the firmware issues.

Firmware has been a frequent topic on the Orbi forum for the 4.5 years I have had my Orbi.  Except for the Traffic Meter/Daylight Saving Time issue the past March, it is a mystery why some users experience no significant problems and other users do.  My Orbi has never "dropped WiFi", lost connection to the internet, disconnected some devices, etc. Yet there are posts almost every day from users with various issues.  Considering how many thousand Orbi systems have been sold, if they were totally unreliable, places like Costco and Best Buy would not still be selling them.

I should point out that we see posts only about Orbi systems.  Nighthawk users have separate forums.  And, who knows what goes on in the user forums for Asus, Ubiquiti, Linksys, Google, eero, etc.

My advice: Do not buy directly from Netgear.  Buy from someone with a geenerous return policy (Amazon, Costsco, etc.)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There's been issues with the .104 firmware but it still works if you disable daylight savings time and traffic monitor. 

I didn't have those enabled anyway so I haven't had any issues with my rbr units. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@devdeep wrote:

Firmware has been a frequent topic on the Orbi forum for the 4.5 years I have had my Orbi.  Except for the Traffic Meter/Daylight Saving Time issue the past March, it is a mystery why some users experience no significant problems and other users do.  My Orbi has never "dropped WiFi", lost connection to the internet, disconnected some devices, etc. Yet there are posts almost every day from users with various issues.  Considering how many thousand Orbi systems have been sold, if they were totally unreliable, places like Costco and Best Buy would not still be selling them.

I should point out that we see posts only about Orbi systems.  Nighthawk users have separate forums.  And, who knows what goes on in the user forums for Asus, Ubiquiti, Linksys, Google, eero, etc.

My advice: Do not buy directly from Netgear.  Buy from someone with a geenerous return policy (Amazon, Costsco, etc.)

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

v104 has been vary stable for me. I don't use Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter. Day Light Savings time has been enabled and haven't seen issues with it. NG mentioned there was problems with Traffic Meter and offered a beta for those effected. Otherwise, Orbi has been stable. 

It's recommended to update FW using manual methods if you choose to do so or inclinded too when available. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Also a power OFF and back ON of the system should be performed after a FW update.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7