Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Current list of Ethernet switches that work with Orbi RBR50

Sabbsol
Tutor

Current list of Ethernet switches that work with Orbi RBR50

Hi,

So I discovered that my TPlink TL-SG116 switch is causing my wired connection problems (Green Ethernet features), and I want to swap it for a switch that works well with my Orbi.  Previous recommendations in these forums seem to be older models and the newer versions have Green Ethernet that can't be switched off.

Can anyone help with a list of a few current model switches that definitely work (or let you turn off Green Ethernet).  I don't need management or VLAN's or anything.  In my location I can't just try them and return them, so I need to get one that definitly works with Orbi.

thanks

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

What I've used:

Netgear GS908E

Netgear GS716v2

TP-link TL-SG105

And a couple of other tp-link 8 port switches, I'm not currently using (loaned out because I upgraded)

I haven't had one I couldn't get working but most are pretty simple unmanaged switches.

But I have read of people having issues with greens switches. I know at least one of the tp-link's i've  used was green and worked. 

Seems to be a bit hit/miss. 

Message 2 of 13
Sabbsol
Tutor

Thanks, my TP-Link also works, but sometimes stops mysteriously on different ports, and when it happens on the router port the satellites satellite users and wired users are disconnected.  It happens about every few days.  I found a workaround - just switch the cables around (so the switch sees different mac addresses) and restart the switch - but again it is only a short term fix.

I really need one that will work reliably - preferably 16 gigabit ports, could get by with 8

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 4 of 13
Aggie88
Apprentice

D-LINK DGS-1024A has been working for me.

Message 5 of 13
Sabbsol
Tutor

So HP ProCurve Switch 1410-16G JH016A would work?  I downloaded the manual, doesn't mention Green Ethernet or anything.

(Of course the switch is between router and satellites and other wired devices).  Router patched directly to modem without switch.

Message 6 of 13
Sabbsol
Tutor

Is there anyone from Netgear monitoring the forums who can answer definitively, at least with a list of Netgear switches that are guaranteed to work with Orbi RBR50 etc?

I appreciate the community responses, but mostly they are too generic.  Someone said Procurve 1400 series, does that include HP ProCurve Switch 1410-16G JH016A  - not sure.  Many manufacturers have added Green Ethernet to later models (I guess it comes with the chipset), so it is often impossible to tell.  Even the manuals for unmanaged switches aren't clear about it, some mention Green as a feature on some models, without being explicity about which models and versions.

thanks

Message 7 of 13
Sabbsol
Tutor

Bump

Thanks to those who shared their switch models that work, but I have not found any current models listed.

As I wrote, I can order from Amazon but can't return things here - so it needs to be right the first time.

thanks

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

You're not going to get anyone on here "guaranteeing" a certain switch works unless we have it because we're just members of the public helping out. 

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the HP model should work fine. The 1400 series has the same features, just mostly more ports. IF the spec sheet doesn't list any green ethernet features, then its not supported on this series. 

@Sabbsol wrote:

Is there anyone from Netgear monitoring the forums who can answer definitively, at least with a list of Netgear switches that are guaranteed to work with Orbi RBR50 etc?

I appreciate the community responses, but mostly they are too generic.  Someone said Procurve 1400 series, does that include HP ProCurve Switch 1410-16G JH016A  - not sure.  Many manufacturers have added Green Ethernet to later models (I guess it comes with the chipset), so it is often impossible to tell.  Even the manuals for unmanaged switches aren't clear about it, some mention Green as a feature on some models, without being explicity about which models and versions.

thanks

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I find the situation confusing.  On Netgear's web page describing ethernet backhaul, the only required criterion is that the switch have gigabit ports:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 

There is no mention of "green" (pro or con).

@Aggie88states that the D-Link DGS-1024A works, but that switch is clearly "green":

https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dgs-1024a-24-port-unmanaged-gigabit-switch 

There was a very long (and compliated) post describing how to use a single ethernet cable for both WAN and LAN traffic by using a pair of Netgear GS108E-v3 managed switches with VLANs.  Satellites were connected over ethernet.  Although the main focus of the problem was getting the VLAN and DHCP business correct, I cannot help but ovserve that thes GS108E is both "managed" and "green" (802.11az)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-and-Smart-Pro-Managed/Disabling-automatic-subnet-reconfi... 

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/Gigabit_Ethernet_Smart_Managed_Plus_Switches_DS.pd... 

So we have at least two examples of Orbi satellites using ethernet backhaul over "green" switches.

I would dearly love to see an explanation of how "green features" cause ethernet backhaul

• To not get established at all, or
  • To fail once established.

While I appreciate the problems of (a) the market no longer providing switches without green features, and (2) inability to return something that doesn't work, may I make a suggestion.  What is the cost of a simple gigabit switch from Amazon?  There are 8-port switches on Amazon for under $20US.  I have paid more for a bottle of wine that is gone in an hour.

Message 11 of 13
GMoGoody8
Luminary

I too was concerned with this when I finally moved. It seemed earlier FW definetly had an issue with 802.3az features or the way users were setting them up. I already had an older Netgear GS108 so when I got settled I purchased another GS108 and a GS105NA. As you said the newer models both support 802.3az. 

With the reports on here I was going to use my older GS108 since it did not support 802.3az. After setting up my patch panel I realized I neded to use the new GS105NA as space was limited and I didn't want to mount anything outside it since my garage is also my gym and I didn't want collateral damage. Here is my setup 

RBR50 Port 1 --> Cat 6 Home Run Wallplate --> GS105NA port 1 --> Cat 6 Home Run Wallplate--> RBS50 #1 --> GS108
                                                                        --> GS105NA port 2 --> Cat 6 Home Run Wallplate--> RBS50 #2
                                                                        --> GS105NA port 3 --> Cat 6 Home Run Wallplate--> IoT Hub
RBR50 Port 2 --> GS108

I have not had a single issue with this setup. 

Message 12 of 13
Sabbsol
Tutor

Hi,

It works fine on most of my ports as well, with a TP-Link green switch.  But two ports with longer cable runs (and possibly poorer wiring) disconnect, and won't reconnect. Connectivity is restored, but they fail to get DHCP.

I have eliminated all other causes except the switch, and indeed plugging the same wire into a different port fixes the problem until the next time.

I just ordered a D-link DGS-1016D which has a DIP switch to disable green features.

Hopefully I will be able to report back with success

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7