Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cutting Verizon out of the equation! Orbi mesh

ableman42
Guide

Cutting Verizon out of the equation! Orbi mesh

Looking to fully cut the cord. I use Rokus and Sling. Have the RBK50 mesh, love it. Currently using Verizon Fios for basic TV and internet. Want to cut down Fios services to just internet. Two questions.

1) When I remove the TV services can I use the Orbi mesh router as my only router- i.e. plug the incoming verizon cable directly into the Orbi router? Any set up guides would be helpful (unless it really is just plug and play).

2) Need to contact Verizon and see what my savings are if I remove the TV service, but is there any reason I couldn't just try this right now (don't mind if I lose the basic tv)- meaning unplug coaxial from Verizon router and plug in into master Orbi unit? Would the fact that the signal coming in has TV and internet screw this up- therebye forcing me to wait until changing the verizon services is over?

Honestly I plan to try out an indoor antenna/airtv this weekend. I also plan/expect some fight in disconnecting the tv services. Would be nice if I could proceed with that setup while waiting to resolve the Verizon services side of the process.

Thanks,

Sean

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The RBK50 does not have a coax connector.  There is a model of Orbi that has a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem built in, but it is not the RBK50.

We have a number of users with FIOS, and I am sure they will know specifics of your options.  My guess (until they respond) is that you are stuck with a "FIOS Box" as long as you have FIOS because FIOS is not a regular "cable modem".  You can have Verizon shut down the TV (and telephone), but you need a FIOS box.

(If I am totally wrong, someone please correct me.)

Message 2 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

@CrimpOn is correct, you will still need a verizon box

Message 3 of 7
ableman42
Guide

Thanks, that's what I guessed.

Any ideas if I will need to swap in a different FIOS box (internet only) or will I continue with this router? If the FIOS box won't change I might as well go ahead with my antenna efforts. 

Not really a Netgear question, so feel free to ignore.

Sean

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You can still use Orbi if you want with the ISP services:

Modem Combo Units:
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@ableman42 wrote:

Looking to fully cut the cord. I use Rokus and Sling. Have the RBK50 mesh, love it. Currently using Verizon Fios for basic TV and internet. Want to cut down Fios services to just internet. Two questions.

1) When I remove the TV services can I use the Orbi mesh router as my only router- i.e. plug the incoming verizon cable directly into the Orbi router? Any set up guides would be helpful (unless it really is just plug and play).

2) Need to contact Verizon and see what my savings are if I remove the TV service, but is there any reason I couldn't just try this right now (don't mind if I lose the basic tv)- meaning unplug coaxial from Verizon router and plug in into master Orbi unit? Would the fact that the signal coming in has TV and internet screw this up- therebye forcing me to wait until changing the verizon services is over?

Honestly I plan to try out an indoor antenna/airtv this weekend. I also plan/expect some fight in disconnecting the tv services. Would be nice if I could proceed with that setup while waiting to resolve the Verizon services side of the process.

Thanks,

Sean

Message 5 of 7
petieg1
Aspirant

I made RBR50 my main router, just release DHCP IP address from Verizon router first, then Orbi should pick it up when you plug the cat5 into WAN/Internet port.  My Verizon router had coax and Ethernet active. I've found that the TV boxes use the coax connection for their Internet -- thus, if you have TV you will have no guide info if you remove Verizon router. After some trial and error, i put my Verizon box on a different subnet, and made it think my LAN connection to the Orbi was 'the Internet' and it worked fine. I don't want to relive this scenario again. I got excited for the Verizon One wireless TV box, but it seems that you need more than one TV box - the main one is still wired, any add'l ones can be wireless.  We only have one so i figure out the above to get TV Guide info.  

Amazing, because the cable boxes even have an Ethernet port, it's just that Verizon doesn't activate them.  Ugh... 

Message 6 of 7
Melvinoa82
Aspirant

How where you able to get the TV guide info?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7