Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 and Orbi installing apps on Windows 10

shsteve
Follower

D7000 and Orbi installing apps on Windows 10

Hi 

I have D7000 Nighthawk and was using the Genie App on my Windows 7 laptop and android phone.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 but when I try to install (from Google Play) Genie or Nighthawk - WIFI router App, it says that both are installed on my phone (which is correct).

However I can't get them to installed on my Laptop as it is not an option in the Google Shop dropdown box.

Any ideas?

And once that is running I will be adding an Obi to the mix, but if I install the Orbi app, how will I access the Nighthawk to set up the parameters. 
I was planning on using both the Nighthawk and the Obri wifi but not sure ifthat is possible based on other support comments.

Any pointers or links to other messages will be appreciated.

Thanks 

Steve

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: D7000 and Orbi installing apps on Windows 10

Please post about this here for your model modem:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers 
Good Luck.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@shsteve wrote:

I was planning on using both the Nighthawk and the Obri wifi but not sure ifthat is possible based on other support comments.

If you have DSL, you need to keep the D7000.  Orbi is not designed to connect directly to DSL.  (Orbi requires an ethernet connection.)  Neither the Genie nor the Orbi "app" are required to administer the Nighthawk/Orbi combination.  Use a web browser.  A desktop or laptop wired to the D7000 would be ideal. Even if you do not have DSL, there are reasons to prefer keeping the D7000 and adding the Orbi to it.  Since the D7000 is in place and functioning, the easiest path forward is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.

• First, connect to the D7000, open a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and connect to the D7000 Home Page.  This is on page 19 of the D7000 manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000/D7000_UM_EN.pdf
    (Also on page 35)
  • Connect the Orbi to one of the D7000 LAN ports and turn it on.
  • On the D7000, navigate to the Attached Devices page (page 36 of manual) and write down the IP address assigned to the Orbi.
  • Open another browser window and connect to the Orbi at http://<ip of orbi>.  The login should be "admin" and "password".
  • On the Orbi Home Page, navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Router / AP Mode.  Click the box over Access Point mode and click Apply.  The Orbi will reboot.
  • After it reboots, connect again, navigate to Wireless and create the same exact WiFi name and password that the D7000 has.
    (Yes, you now have duplicate networks - for a short time)
  • Turn off the D7000 WiFi radios as described on page 107 of the manual, either usiing the buttons or the web page.

Done.

Next, browse to the D7000

Message 3 of 4

@shsteve wrote:

And once that is running I will be adding an Obi to the mix, but if I install the Orbi app, how will I access the Nighthawk to set up the parameters. 

You can use the Orbi app to access an Orbi in AP mode.

On a PC you can get in by working out the IP address if the Orbi and attacking it from that direction. I find it helps to fix the IP address on the AP so that I can always find it.

Does the D7000 work with the Nighthawk app? As far as I can see it is still in the hands of the Netgear Genie app. (Some people think that is a good thing.)

At takes a firmware change to move a device from Netgear app to Nighthawk app. As usual, modem/routers are at the back of the queue on these things.

@shsteve wrote:

However I can't get them to installed on my Laptop as it is not an option in the Google Shop dropdown box.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7