Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DDNS requests - DDNS sends a request every 3 seconds

StCJM
Aspirant

DDNS requests - DDNS sends a request every 3 seconds

Orbi RBR50 v2.5.1.8

DDNS (No-IP) is sending an update back to the mothership every ~3 seconds.  An analysis of DNS traffic shows a majority of all traffic for the router is going to ipcast1.dynupdate.no-ip.com (thousnads per day).

How can this be limited?  I do not see any settings on the Obri or in the no-ip.com interface.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Is your DDNS working?  i.e. DDNS was set up so that a port could forwarded, OpenVPN set up, or something else?

I suspect that No-ip.com no longer recognizes your account and Orbi is frantically trying to say, "Hey. My IP has changed. Hey. Please tell me you got this!"

One of the things that annoys people is that the default "free" DDNS from No-ip.com has to be renewed every 30 days or it disappears.  After I established that OpenVPN works on the Orbi, I paid them.

Message 2 of 8
StCJM
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Is your DDNS working?  i.e. DDNS was set up so that a port could forwarded, OpenVPN set up, or something else?

I suspect that No-ip.com no longer recognizes your account and Orbi is frantically trying to say, "Hey. My IP has changed. Hey. Please tell me you got this!"

One of the things that annoys people is that the default "free" DDNS from No-ip.com has to be renewed every 30 days or it disappears.  After I established that OpenVPN works on the Orbi, I paid them.

Yes, DDNS is working (OpenVPN can connect fine... minus a MAC address issue).

OpenVPN documentation talks about updates every 3 seconds or a "X" time for proxy setups.  I'd like to have it report the IP to No-Ip every 5-10 minutes (if not longer).

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I've recorded some more Orbi WAN traffic.  I see Orbi asking "What's my IP address?" at intervals from 10 to 50 seconds.  Try http://ip1.dynupdate.no-ip.com from any browser. 

What I did NOT see was any communication to 204.16.253.153 (ipcast1.dynupdate.no-ip.com).  My hypothesis is that paranoid Orbi asks no-ip.com "Who am I?" a lot more than I would think strictly necessary.  Then, when the response is not what Orbi expects, it goes into a spasm of updating no-ip.com until the DDNS is updated to match the new IP.

Again, just personally, it seems to me that the only time Orbi's public IP can change is when a DHCP lease gets renewed, so it makes little sense to keep asking, "Who am I?"  If the public IP changed and Orbi didn't know it, then wouldn't it suddenly not receive anything at all?  (Of course, I know nothing about PPPoE which Orbi also supports.)

I am now recording to a USB stick to get a couple of hours to confirm.  Maybe I'll record until the lease renews tonight.

Message 4 of 8
StCJM
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I've recorded some more Orbi WAN traffic.  I see Orbi asking "What's my IP address?" at intervals from 10 to 50 seconds.  Try http://ip1.dynupdate.no-ip.com from any browser. 

What I did NOT see was any communication to 204.16.253.153 (ipcast1.dynupdate.no-ip.com).  My hypothesis is that paranoid Orbi asks no-ip.com "Who am I?" a lot more than I would think strictly necessary.  Then, when the response is not what Orbi expects, it goes into a spasm of updating no-ip.com until the DDNS is updated to match the new IP.

Again, just personally, it seems to me that the only time Orbi's public IP can change is when a DHCP lease gets renewed, so it makes little sense to keep asking, "Who am I?"  If the public IP changed and Orbi didn't know it, then wouldn't it suddenly not receive anything at all?  (Of course, I know nothing about PPPoE which Orbi also supports.)

I am now recording to a USB stick to get a couple of hours to confirm.  Maybe I'll record until the lease renews tonight.

I did find in the DUC (No-Ip Dynamic Update Client - for MacOS) an option to change the refresh rate.  I changed it to 60 minutes.  I'll check later today to see if this does anything.

Message 5 of 8
StCJM
Aspirant

So for six hours today (overnight:12a-6a) while no one was using any devices there is still by far too many requests going out?  Averaging ~6 per minute to ipcast1.dynupdate.no-ip.com?

RANK DOMAIN REQUESTS

1ipcast1.dynupdate.no-ip.com2,145
2www.netgear.com138

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact a forum moderator about and see if they can relay this to NG engineering to see if this is by design or can be adjusted.

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

An update: Pulled the USB stick this morning after collecting more than 15 hours of WAN traffic.  I concur that Orbi appears to be far too busy talking to dynupdate.no-ip.com.  Every time Orbi asks, "What is my IP?", that involves a whole sequence of DNS queries (where is no-ip.com?) TCP connects/acks, and finally the http "get" and the response.  My understanding was that Orbi was acting as a DNS server and caching IP addresses, so I do not understand this part at all.  Then, at intervals of an hour or half-hour, Orbi uses http to get the entire parameter set from no-ip.com.  That includes the email address associated with the account and all of the host names that are registered with no-ip.com on my account (Wow. Had not expected that.)  What I did not see in all of this was any move on the part of Orbi to update the no-ip.com database.  This makes sense as my IP address has not changed in months.

Will be interesting to learn if making changes on the no-ip side have any effect.

p.s. Invest in a 32GB USB stick and you can learn far more than you wanted to about what is going on in the network the Orbi is connected to.  A lot of packets flying around that make little sense.  And a lot of connections from inside my network to places I have never thought of.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7