Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP - Need to release IP addresses

AustinBike
Star

DHCP - Need to release IP addresses

Why can I not release IP addresses? Even with a reboot it still holds on to old addresses. I created a reservation and when I look in the clients list I see 3 different addresses for the same device.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
st_shaw
Master

You need to reboot your devices (not Orbi) to get the devices to release their IPs. Also, make sure your devices are set to use DHCP to get an IP and don’t have hard coded IP addresses. 

Message 2 of 13
AustinBike
Star

Devices have been repeatedly rebooted, IPs remain.
Message 3 of 13
st_shaw
Master

@AustinBike wrote:
Devices have been repeatedly rebooted, IPs remain.

Ok. Then something is not right somewhere.  If you set your client devices to use DHCP and reboot them, they will obtain one IP address only. If you reboot Orbi, the list of attached devices will be cleared.  Sounds like there might be more than one DHCP server on your network, like an old router or something.

In order to help, we would need more information on your network. Also need a complete description of what you are looking at that indicates you have a problem.  A screenshot would be helpful there.

What modem/router(s) do you have, how are they connected, in what order are they connected, is Orbi in AP mode or router mode, what type of client device is exhibiting the problem, is there more than one client device with the problem...

Message 4 of 13
AustinBike
Star

I am running on fiber, no modem, just a Calyx ONT that is feeding me straight Ethernet into the house. I took the orbi off line on Saturday afternoon to hook my AMPLIFI back up and check their latest firmware. I will put the Orbi back on line this evening and check it. If the system has been off for more than 24 hours, every lease should have expired. 

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is loaded on the Orbi router?

@AustinBike wrote:

Why can I not release IP addresses? Even with a reboot it still holds on to old addresses. I created a reservation and when I look in the clients list I see 3 different addresses for the same device.

Message 6 of 13
AustinBike
Star

just plugged it back in and powered it up after 24+ hours off line. 

The reaerved IP at 192.168.1.99 that I set for the garage door is there, but so is the old 192.168.1.162 that was dynamically assigned days ago.

i did name the device when it was .162. Can’t find a way to release this. 

Message 7 of 13
st_shaw
Master

@AustinBike wrote:

just plugged it back in and powered it up after 24+ hours off line. 

The reaerved IP at 192.168.1.99 that I set for the garage door is there, but so is the old 192.168.1.162 that was dynamically assigned days ago.

i did name the device when it was .162. Can’t find a way to release this. 

It's still hard to help you without more specific information on what is going on.

What exactly do you mean 1.99 is there but so is the old 1.162?  The IP is where? Where are you seeing two IPs listed?  On the Orbi attached devices screen?

I believe all that Orbi is doing is reporting devices that respond to arp.

Is this garage door device the only device exhibitng this behavior? Can you actually connect to the device at bith IP addresses? I would look at your device as the possible culprit.

Anyway... if this is not causing you any actual network problems you should be able to ignore it.  There is no rule against one device having two IPs. You just cannot have one IP being used by two devices.

Message 8 of 13
AustinBike
Star

In the connected devices list there are 2 instances of the garage door, one with an IP of 192.168.1.99 (the reserved IP that I assigned from the Orbi console) and 192.168.1.162 that is an old IP assigned days ago dynamically.

This appears to be the only double IP address, but because I have 6 Sonos devices, 4 Apple TVs, 2 Rokus, 3 TiVos, 4 Ipads, etc. I worry that there could be duplicates down the road that I am not aware of. I have had phantom devices show up once because my ISP was improperly filtering, so I try to keep an eye on my connected device list.

I realize that I could just ignore this, but when every other network device on the market has a way to flush the DHCP cache, I find it odd that Orbi cannot. Even if the answer was power it down and that will release all of the devices, that would be acceptable. But apparently powering down will not fix this because I have powered down the full system more than once and the 192.168.1.162 is still showing up.

Message 9 of 13
AustinBike
Star

Good news and bad news. 192.168.1.162 is actually a real device. It is a Wemo wall light switch. All of my other Wemo switches show up as "Belkin International" as the device model and "Wemo" as the device name.

I had named 192.168.1.162 as "Chamberlian" and "Garage door" and then when I moved the device to a reserved IP, .162 was available and in a reboot it was assigned to the Wemo light switch. Which is a real problem. Apparently names stay with the IP, not the device (or, more specifically) the MAC address.)

I had come from an Amplifi system and those names were tied to MACs, not IPs. I am not sure that this is what the typical user would expect when they name a device.

Message 10 of 13
st_shaw
Master

Glad you figured out that Orbi was not giving out two IPs to one device.

That should have been evident from the MAC addresses in the connected devices list though.

Message 11 of 13
Saunder
Aspirant

Is the Orbi RBR50 compatable with a Nord VPN ? I need to connect a vpn to my router to stream pictures from my windows 7 pro.

to my samsung smart tv.  HELP 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you make a new post about your question regarding VPN. This thread is dealing with DHCP and reservations.

@Saunder wrote:

Is the Orbi RBR50 compatable with a Nord VPN ? I need to connect a vpn to my router to stream pictures from my windows 7 pro.

to my samsung smart tv.  HELP 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7