Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP issue with ORBI RBK50 configured in AP mode

Nicolas72
Guide

DHCP issue with ORBI RBK50 configured in AP mode

I recently replaced my old Apple Airport Extreme by a brand new Orbi RBK50. I'm running the last FW 2.2.1.210.

The Orbi (RBR) is configured in AP mode and one satelite (RBS) is configured in wireless backhaul (non daisy chain topology). 

I'm experiencing a DHCP issue when my wireles devices try to connect to my Orbi (RBR). Most of the time, my wireless devices connect to ORBI (listed as list of connected devices in admin page) but don't get network information from the DHCP server located in front of my Orbi (ip address, network mask et gatewey ip). It occurs with all my wireless devices when trying to connect to the RBR.

The funny thing is that it works sometime.

here is a brief description of my network topology:

A modem cable with Wireless disabled -> a 24 port Cisco switch -> Orbi RBK 50 conected to one port of the switch via Orbi WAN port -> wireless devices connected but with not assigned network information.

I used the exactly same topology with my previsous Airport Extreme device (configured in AP mode and located at the same place as the brand new Orbi).

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
ekhalil
Master

When you set Orbi to AP mode you get a question about IP addressing responsibility as follows:

Namnlöst.png

1) Depending on what you selected, Orbi will direct all Attach requests from devices to the router or not. Please check this setting

2) Is the DHCP server address defined in your router?

Message 2 of 10
Nicolas72
Guide

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

When configuring AP mode I selected the first option "Get dynamically from existing router".

Orbi as an AP did recieve an IP from the fronted switch (acting as a DHCP server). The IP recieved from the switch is in the good range.

It means the communication between Orbi and the switch is working well.

My wireless connected devices sometime receive an IP in the same and good range but most of the time recieve an IP from the "default range" 169.254.X.X with no gateway and an incorrect network mask which correspond to no connectivity ...

Of course, everything goes well If my wireless devices recived a good network address configuration and vice versa.

Strange behaviour knowing that my previous Apple Extreme worked fine in the same topology and configuration during 5 - 6 years.

Best Regards.

Message 3 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

When configuring AP mode I selected the first option "Get dynamically from existing router".

Orbi as an AP did recieve an IP from the fronted switch (acting as a DHCP server). The IP recieved from the switch is in the good range.

It means the communication between Orbi and the switch is working well.

My wireless connected devices sometime receive an IP in the same and good range but most of the time recieve an IP from the "default range" 169.254.X.X with no gateway and an incorrect network mask which correspond to no connectivity ...

Of course, everything goes well If my wireless devices recived a good network address configuration and vice versa.

Strange behaviour knowing that my previous Apple Extreme worked fine in the same topology and configuration during 5 - 6 years.

Best Regards.

The only thing that I can think of now is: When you changed from the Apple Airport to Orbi, did you use the same SSID? I'm afraid that your devices still have the routing information that it got when it initially attached through the Apple Aiport which I'm not sure if it will be correct to use with Orbi.

Does forgrtting the network from the device and attaching again help? Otherwise a change of the SSID woths also trying!

Message 4 of 10
Nicolas72
Guide

Hi,

Yes I keep the same SSID but I forgot the network on wireless devices and reconnected. I aso tried to change the SSID and I also restarted the AP.

Still the same issue.

I discovered some strange behaviour yesterday evening. One of my wireless device sucessfuly connected to the network and it apparently received an IP from an already connected wired device (when I came to my wired device I saw the error "An other device use your IP address".

It never happened while runing my old Airprt. I am not sure but it's like getting an IP via DHCP from Orbi AP was not the same as getting an IP via the same DHCP from a wired connection (like the AP is also acting as a DHCP).

I guess I'm right if I say  turning Orbi into AP mode disable its DHCP feature?

Best Regards 

Message 5 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Nicolas72 wrote:

I guess I'm right if I say  turning Orbi into AP mode disable its DHCP feature?

Yes, once Orbi is on AP Mode the DHCP functionality should be diasabled.

@Nicolas72 wrote:

I discovered some strange behaviour yesterday evening. One of my wireless device sucessfuly connected to the network and it apparently received an IP from an already connected wired device (when I came to my wired device I saw the error "An other device use your IP address".

Do you have any extenders/repeaters or Wifi-LAN converters? Those devices have built-in DHCP servers and I noticed that sometimes they can interfere with the main DHCP server.

Please get the following information that will give us information about the configuration in Orbi:

1. From a browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address
  2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  4. Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 (use your router's IP address) and enter admin and the same password as above
  5. Enter the following commands, and copy the output printout:
    • config get lan_dhcp

• config get lan_proto

• config get ap_dhcp_ipaddr

• config get ap_dhcp_gateway

• config get ap_dhcp_netmask
    • config get bridge_dhcp_ipaddr
    • config get bridge_dhcp_gateway

• config get wan_proto

• config get wan_dhcp_gateway

• config get wan_dhcp_server

• config get config get bridge_dhcp_netmask

Message 6 of 10
Nicolas72
Guide

Nope no extenders, repeaters or anything else ...

here is the debug log

root@RBR50:/# config get lan_dhcp

root@RBR50:/# config get lan_proto

dhcp

root@RBR50:/# config get ap_dhcp_ipaddr

root@RBR50:/# config get ap_dhcp_gateway

root@RBR50:/# config get ap_dhcp_netmask

root@RBR50:/# config get bridge_dhcp_ipaddr

root@RBR50:/# config get bridge_dhcp_gateway

root@RBR50:/# config get wan_proto

dhcp

root@RBR50:/# config get wan_dhcp_gateway

root@RBR50:/# config get wan_dhcp_server

For those wireless moblle devices such as iPhone or iPad who can get connected I noticed very unstable behavior (good throughput for 5 minutes to very low throughput without moving, connection drop after some minutes or hours). Sometime when trying to reconnect I got errors such as 'incorrect WIFI password'. Waiting 5 minutes and reconnecting solved this issue without retyping the password but it reapears from time to time.

I made the count, I have 26 devices to connect (IP camera, Sonos, Hue bridge, Amazon echo and multiple dots, Apple devices, ...

The most frequent issues occurs with Apple devices (2 x iPhone, 2 x iPad).

Do you run the same last firmware?

Do you have some Apple device connected to your Orbi? 

Not convinced by Orbi so far to be honest ...

Message 7 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Nicolas72 wrote:

root@RBR50:/# config get lan_dhcp

root@RBR50:/# config get lan_proto

dhcp

root@RBR50:/# config get ap_dhcp_ipaddr

root@RBR50:/# config get ap_dhcp_gateway

root@RBR50:/# config get ap_dhcp_netmask

root@RBR50:/# config get bridge_dhcp_ipaddr

root@RBR50:/# config get bridge_dhcp_gateway

root@RBR50:/# config get wan_proto

dhcp

root@RBR50:/# config get wan_dhcp_gateway

root@RBR50:/# config get wan_dhcp_server

Data should be ok. It says that Orbi is connected to your router at 192.168.0.1 and your DHCP server is located on 192.168.0.25. We can try to set the DHCP address to same as the gateway address (192.168.0.1) if your router has already the DHCP address defined. Let's keep this as last resort.

@Nicolas72 wrote:

For those wireless moblle devices such as iPhone or iPad who can get connected I noticed very unstable behavior (good throughput for 5 minutes to very low throughput without moving, connection drop after some minutes or hours). Sometime when trying to reconnect I got errors such as 'incorrect WIFI password'. Waiting 5 minutes and reconnecting solved this issue without retyping the password but it reapears from time to time.

I think this is only symptoms of not having a working DHCP in your network, once the issue of DHCP is sorted out I think these issues will be gone..

@Nicolas72 wrote:

I made the count, I have 26 devices to connect (IP camera, Sonos, Hue bridge, Amazon echo and multiple dots, Apple devices, ...

The most frequent issues occurs with Apple devices (2 x iPhone, 2 x iPad).

Sonos! Do you have any wired Sonos? I had so many issues when I had my mesh speakers wired to Orbi. Please test to disconnect the wired devices and see if anything will improve.

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Do you run the same last firmware?

Do you have some Apple device connected to your Orbi? 

We are an Apple house so I have all types of Apple devices, Macbooks, iMac, iPhones, iPads, Apple TV. I also have wired Time Capsule that I use for backups. All are working perfectly fine with Orbi.

I'm suspecting the Sonos affecting your network. Let's exclude this first.

Message 8 of 10
Nicolas72
Guide

Re: DHCP issue with ORBI RBK50 configured in AP mode (SOLVED)

Hi there,

I think i finally found the issue. Quite unbelievable...

After some investigations, It appeared the DHCP server supplied by my ISP provider delivered only ... 26 IP addresses.

Since I just reached this limit by adding the RBR50 (one base + one satellite), I never experimeted such an issue.

I called the representative and asked him for an hardware replacement. They proceeded within half a day and hopefuly the dhcp issue disapeared.

Regarding SONOS I have 4 play 1 and 1 connect. They are not using wireless but sonosnet. Of course the connect device is wired to my network but I have not encountered any issue so far. Let's see in the coming days.

I'm not impressed by the trhoughput comparing to my old airport but it works and it's ok.

Let's see the stability for one or two weeks now...

In the meantime I will try to enable fast roaming and implicit beamforming te see if it helps somewhere...

I'd like to thank you very much for your help. It was really appreciated!

Cheers,

PS: long live to Apple, since I'm also an Apple house... 😉

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Re: DHCP issue with ORBI RBK50 configured in AP mode (SOLVED)

Glad that you got the main issue sorted out. Let's hope things will be stable now and you will start fully enjoying the lovely Orbi wifi system! 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7