Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP not working properly, log filling with DHCP assignments

DougB628
Apprentice

DHCP not working properly, log filling with DHCP assignments

So I have noticed that after rebooting, sometimes DHCP doesn't work properly. No devices that use DHCP, whether they have a DHCP reservation or not, get DHCP assigned IP addresses. Whenever this problem is occurring, my log fills up with DHCP entries, for the same devices, over and over and over. All of the devices that appear are only the ones that need DHCP.

Rebooting an extra time or two usually resolves it. But of course that's not terribly friendly to the devices that have static IP's (as many as I can possibly set to static) that are working just fine.

Tonight I tried something different - I went to Advanced, Setup, LAN, and turned off DHCP, clicked Apply, then waited, then turned DHCP back on, clicked apply. My devices started getting their correct IP's - those with reservations (including both my satellites!) got their reserved IP's, and devices with no reservations got addresses from the standard range. And my log stopped getting filled up with DHCP entries. So at least there's a much less disruptive workaround to this problem.

So apparently, after some reboots, DHCP gets messed up. I'm guessing that turning off DHCP then turning it back on again is effectively "restarting" the DHCP service, which obviously happens with a full reboot as well, but this seems to be far less disruptive to the rest of the devices on my network that don't need DHCP.

Here's my firmware info - I'm running the latest:

Model Name Device Name Current Version Status
Router RBR50 RBR50 V2.2.1.210 No new firmware version available.
Satellite RBS50 Sat2 V2.2.1.210 No new firmware version available.
Satellite RBS50 Sat1 V2.2.1.210 No new firmware version available.

I also captured traffic using Wireshark both before and after restarting DHCP. The main difference I noticed was that while it was not working, most of the entries that did not originate from the router were almost all DHCP Discover packets. Only an occassional DHCP Request. After restarting DHCP, there were many more DHCP Requests. When looking at the packets that originated from the router, before the restart there were very few DHCP Ack packets. After the restart there were many more DHCP Ack packets.

So, I don't know a lot about the internal details of DHCP, but I'm guessing it works something likes this:

Client                DHCP Server

DHCP Discover--------->

<-----------------DHCP Offer

DHCP Request--------->

<-----------------DHCP Ack

To me, it seems that the problem lies in the DHCP Offer packet sent in response to the DHCP Discover packet from the client. The client, for whatever reason, either doesn't get the DHCP Offer packet, or can't read it properly.

I did notice that a few devices did send DHCP Requests while DHCP was not working for most devices, and there was a DHCP Ack sent back. So this may not affect all devices. The one device that I saw worked was my Samsung Family Hub refrigerator, which I believe runs Tizen. Apple iPhones cannot get DHCP IP addresses when this is not working.

I'd prefer not to upload my capture logs here, as there is obviously very detailed information about the devices on my network. But I'd be happy to examine anything in more detail.

I think I'm providing some good info here, feel free to ask more questions!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

I wonder if by cycling the DHCP option off then on, you are actually reinitializing some system variables/processes that became incorrectly set.  If so, this would be a good indication for system engineers to relook at that section of code logic.

Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What devices, wired and wireless do you have all connected to the system? 

How are the satellite(s) connected? 

Has a full factory reset been performed after you updated to v210? 

What happens if you change the default IP address pool to 192.168.1.100 to .200? 

RIP version enabled? 

I would file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Blanca_O

@DougB628 wrote:

So I have noticed that after rebooting, sometimes DHCP doesn't work properly. No devices that use DHCP, whether they have a DHCP reservation or not, get DHCP assigned IP addresses. Whenever this problem is occurring, my log fills up with DHCP entries, for the same devices, over and over and over. All of the devices that appear are only the ones that need DHCP.

Rebooting an extra time or two usually resolves it. But of course that's not terribly friendly to the devices that have static IP's (as many as I can possibly set to static) that are working just fine.

Tonight I tried something different - I went to Advanced, Setup, LAN, and turned off DHCP, clicked Apply, then waited, then turned DHCP back on, clicked apply. My devices started getting their correct IP's - those with reservations (including both my satellites!) got their reserved IP's, and devices with no reservations got addresses from the standard range. And my log stopped getting filled up with DHCP entries. So at least there's a much less disruptive workaround to this problem.

So apparently, after some reboots, DHCP gets messed up. I'm guessing that turning off DHCP then turning it back on again is effectively "restarting" the DHCP service, which obviously happens with a full reboot as well, but this seems to be far less disruptive to the rest of the devices on my network that don't need DHCP.

Here's my firmware info - I'm running the latest:

Model Name Device Name Current Version Status
Router RBR50 RBR50 V2.2.1.210 No new firmware version available.
Satellite RBS50 Sat2 V2.2.1.210 No new firmware version available.
Satellite RBS50 Sat1 V2.2.1.210 No new firmware version available.

I also captured traffic using Wireshark both before and after restarting DHCP. The main difference I noticed was that while it was not working, most of the entries that did not originate from the router were almost all DHCP Discover packets. Only an occassional DHCP Request. After restarting DHCP, there were many more DHCP Requests. When looking at the packets that originated from the router, before the restart there were very few DHCP Ack packets. After the restart there were many more DHCP Ack packets.

So, I don't know a lot about the internal details of DHCP, but I'm guessing it works something likes this:

Client                DHCP Server

DHCP Discover--------->

<-----------------DHCP Offer

DHCP Request--------->

<-----------------DHCP Ack

To me, it seems that the problem lies in the DHCP Offer packet sent in response to the DHCP Discover packet from the client. The client, for whatever reason, either doesn't get the DHCP Offer packet, or can't read it properly.

I did notice that a few devices did send DHCP Requests while DHCP was not working for most devices, and there was a DHCP Ack sent back. So this may not affect all devices. The one device that I saw worked was my Samsung Family Hub refrigerator, which I believe runs Tizen. Apple iPhones cannot get DHCP IP addresses when this is not working.

I'd prefer not to upload my capture logs here, as there is obviously very detailed information about the devices on my network. But I'd be happy to examine anything in more detail.

I think I'm providing some good info here, feel free to ask more questions!

@Blanca_O 

Message 3 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

There are multiple switches in my network - how does that pertain to a problem related to DHCP? I have both wired and wireless devices that do not get DHCP addresses when this is not working correctly.

I have 40+ devices on my network - are you asking me to list all of them?

Satellites are connected via wireless backhaul.

My RBR50 and first RBS50 were purchased together as a kit. The second RBS50 was purchased several weeks later. A full factory reset has never been performed on any of them, and I know that all of them did an automatic upgrade to v210 after their first boot up. I can try to set some time soon to do that - it will need to be coordinated with the family, as they tend to get pretty irritated when the internet is not available.

Changing the default IP address pool for .100 to .200 is not a viable option - I have an addressing scheme in use that has many static IPs in that range.

RIP Version is disabled. I see options for RIP_1, RIP_2B, RIP_2M. Should I try one of those?

A follow up from my earlier discovery - the process of turning off DHCP, applying change, and turning it back on, applying change is not a guaranteed fix. It is as reliable as the reboots, but it is still better than rebooting. Last night I had to turn DHCP off/on a few times before it stablized.

I setup a Raspberry Pi last night with DNSMasq, and I am *very* close to just using that for my DHCP to solve this and the fact that the Orbi won't let me set a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0. Plus I'll get the benefit of DNS caching. I have a couple more Raspberry Pi's around from some set top box experiments, so I'll even be able to have redundancy of having two or three of them. Seems that it shouldn't be necessary to have to do that with a mesh wifi system that I have now spent well over $500 on...

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

@DougB628 

There are user posts about some switches not working well with Orbi. So reason for asking. Please let us know Mfr and model please. 

A reset should be performed on the entire system after a FW update. I've seen issues with autoupdate or even a manual FW update not working well untill a factory reset and setup from scratch as been performed. Works after that. 

When you say "Static IP in that range" do you mean IP address reservations set ON the router or Static IP set ON devices. Static IPs are set ON devices OUTSIDE of the routers default IP address pool. IP address reservations are set WITHIN the routers default IP address pool. Just want to be clear on this. 

You can try one of the RIP versions however for most home configurations, its not needed. However you can try and see. Disable it if you don't see any changes. 

If you have a RPi for DHCP and DNS, why not configure the Orbi for AP mode. Would make things much easier. 

Over all, DHCP works well, I use a custom DCHP range for mine. I haven't seen issues like this. Non Managed switches only. 

Message 5 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@DougB628 wrote:

@DougB628 Thanks for doing a thourough troubleshooting anf for the good analysis.

I'd look at this differently. I think that the fact that Orbi does not reply to the DHCP Discover packets makes me think that those packets were really sent to another element in the network. Does the ISP modem/router provide any routing functionality? Do you have any other network elements (like extenders, repeaters, ...) that can supply DHCP functionality that can cause such an issue?

Message 6 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

My cable modem is an Arris Surfboard. I purchased it myself from Amazon, it was not provided by my ISP. It definitely has no DHCP functionality. No other devices on the network that can provide DHCP, at least not that is enabled. The other indication that it is the Orbi's problem is that it resolves itself after resetting DHCP a few times. Sometimes only one reset (turn off DHCP, apply, turn on DHCP, apply) is needed, other times it's two, three, or four times. Once it stablizes, it's 100% good for quite a while. I'm still learning what changes I make can trigger at least partial resets of things, and there are definitely things that appear to reset DHCP (I see my phone lose its wifi in these cases), and then it's a crap shoot as to whether it will come back stable or not. So I've definitely learned to leave everything alone if its working. I need to build trust back up from my wife - at this point she thinks either that I just want to play with it, and don't give a damn how it affects everyone, or that I truly have no clue what I'm doing. I know the first one is not right... jury is still out on the second...

Message 7 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

Oh - one more thing - the Orbi is definitely replying - I see tons of DHCP Offer lines in the Wireshark log coming from the Orbi. It's the clients that are not sending the DHCP Request after that that is not happening when this is not working. When it is working, I see the following sequence for each device:

Device                 Orbi

DHCP Discover------>

<-----------DHCP Offer

DHCP Request------>

<------------DHCP Ack

When it is not working, The client sends the DHCP Discover, the Orbi sends the DHCP Offer, but most of my devices are not sending the DHCP Request after that. So it breaks down at that point.

Message 8 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@DougB628 What wired devices do you have connected to the Orbi Router and Satellite(s)?

Message 9 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switches are you using in the configuration?

@DougB628 wrote:

My cable modem is an Arris Surfboard. I purchased it myself from Amazon, it was not provided by my ISP. It definitely has no DHCP functionality. No other devices on the network that can provide DHCP, at least not that is enabled. The other indication that it is the Orbi's problem is that it resolves itself after resetting DHCP a few times. Sometimes only one reset (turn off DHCP, apply, turn on DHCP, apply) is needed, other times it's two, three, or four times. Once it stablizes, it's 100% good for quite a while. I'm still learning what changes I make can trigger at least partial resets of things, and there are definitely things that appear to reset DHCP (I see my phone lose its wifi in these cases), and then it's a crap shoot as to whether it will come back stable or not. So I've definitely learned to leave everything alone if its working. I need to build trust back up from my wife - at this point she thinks either that I just want to play with it, and don't give a damn how it affects everyone, or that I truly have no clue what I'm doing. I know the first one is not right... jury is still out on the second...

Message 10 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

Western Digital My Cloud 4TB NAS

Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Apple Mac Mini

Philips Hue Bridge

Lenovo Desktop PC

Raspberry Pi 3

D-Link NVR-312L network video recorder - capable of doing DHCP, but is disabled

Tablo OTA DVR

Apple Time Capsule (all wireless disabled, running in bridge mode so no NAT or DHCP)

I confirmed the configurations of the NVR-312L and the Time Capsule prior to sending this.

Message 11 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@DougB628 wrote:

Western Digital My Cloud 4TB NAS

Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Apple Mac Mini

Philips Hue Bridge

Lenovo Desktop PC

Raspberry Pi 3

D-Link NVR-312L network video recorder - capable of doing DHCP, but is disabled

Tablo OTA DVR

Apple Time Capsule (all wireless disabled, running in bridge mode so no NAT or DHCP)

I confirmed the configurations of the NVR-312L and the Time Capsule prior to sending this.

1. I have an Apple Time Capsule bridged wired to my satellite and I know that it behaves well.
  2. I also have a D-Link repeater which has DHCP disabled but I see that few devices -sometimes- get IP addresses from the default DHCP range in the D-Link.

I'd test to disconnect -if possible- all wired devices and try without them. I suspect the D-Link but it can be any other wired device as well. 🙂

Message 12 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

I have three switches, they are all TrendNet unmanaged switches. Two are model number TEG-S82g H/W:V2.0R, the other is model number TEG-S80g H/W:V2.1R

Only one of the TEG-S82g switches is actually in use at the moment. All three of them are 1GB/100MB/10MB capable.

Message 13 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

From reviewing my Wireshark logs that spanned the time when it was not working until it was working, the DHCP Offer messages have only ever come from the Orbi. Those messages actually have the IP address of the sender, which was always the Orbi. The other reasons I have a hard time believing it's another device is that once it starts working after I have reset DHCP one, two, three, or four times on the Orbi, then it stays working as long as I don't do anything that causes DHCP to reset again (in other words, don't mess with the router). If it were even sporadically the D-Link NVR-312L, I would expect the problem to be at least consistent - in other words, some random device not getting a good IP address on a relatively consistent frequency. I last had the problem yesterday evening, and after resetting DHCP three times I think, it started working and it has worked consistently ever since. I have made a specific point not to change *any* settings on my router since then, specifically to see if it stays stable.

Message 14 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

One thing I will do is to setup the D-Link NVR to have a configured address range as a block of addresses that I know I am not using right now, which is 192.168.1.160-199. Then I will keep it disabled, but keep an eye out for any device getting an address in that range.

Message 15 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I see this one switch as green ethernet:

https://www.trendnet.com/products/product-detail?prod=570_TEG-S82g

As mentioned before I believe, Orbi systems don't seem to get along with anything with Green Ethernet:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/switching-requirements-for-ethernet-backhaul/m-p/1653718/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ready-to-chuck-this-system-through-the-window/m-p/1658470/high...

I would remove ALL switches from the ORbi system temporarilty and see the problem continues. 

@DougB628 wrote:

I have three switches, they are all TrendNet unmanaged switches. Two are model number TEG-S82g H/W:V2.0R, the other is model number TEG-S80g H/W:V2.1R

Only one of the TEG-S82g switches is actually in use at the moment. All three of them are 1GB/100MB/10MB capable.

Message 16 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

I have intentionally left my setup as is, with no configuration changes, and it has been stable for almost a week. To me, this proves that the "green" switches have nothing to do with this issue, and that any issue is related to DHCP being re-initialized and there being a chance that when it is re-initialized, it has a chance of starting up in an unstable state. By not making any configuration changes, and seeing my Orbi system remain stable the entire time, I think I have proven that the TrendNet switches are highly unlikely to be related to any issue.

Message 17 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would test the system with out the switches to see if the behavior your seeing continues or not. 

Any thing is possible. We've just seen that others posted that once they removed there "Green Ethernet" switches, there problems were fixed.

@DougB628 wrote:

I have intentionally left my setup as is, with no configuration changes, and it has been stable for almost a week. To me, this proves that the "green" switches have nothing to do with this issue, and that any issue is related to DHCP being re-initialized and there being a chance that when it is re-initialized, it has a chance of starting up in an unstable state. By not making any configuration changes, and seeing my Orbi system remain stable the entire time, I think I have proven that the TrendNet switches are highly unlikely to be related to any issue.

Message 18 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

So I've been shopping switches lately, and it seems that most of them tout IEEE energy saving features. If the "green" switches are in fact contributing to my problem, how do I know what type of switch to get? For example, the Netgear GS316 16-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged switch includes this on its data sheet:

• 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) compliance

Will this be a problem? If not, then what is it about the "green" swtiches that causes the problem?

Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

NG older GS series switches with the BLUE metal cases are ones to look for that don't have "green ethernet". 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108v4.aspx

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS116v2.aspx

I also use D-Link's DGS 105/108 and HP Procurve 1400 series switches, a 24 port and a couple 8 ports. These don't have green tech in them. 

Message 20 of 23
DougB628
Apprentice

The D-Link DGS-108 definitely has "green" technology. I've attached a snapshot of a portion of the data sheet from Amazon.

I've ordered the Netgear GS116NA which is the North American version of the GS116v2. Should arrive Sunday, and I will replace my current switches with that one.

Message 21 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

I use the GS116 as well and it works great with my setup.

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Hm...I hadn't seen that with the 108. My 108 and 105s all work ok with my Orbi. Hmm.. 

Anyways, let us know how it goes with the NG switch. Hopefully this will resolve this problem your seeing. 

@DougB628 wrote:

The D-Link DGS-108 definitely has "green" technology. I've attached a snapshot of a portion of the data sheet from Amazon.

I've ordered the Netgear GS116NA which is the North American version of the GS116v2. Should arrive Sunday, and I will replace my current switches with that one.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7