Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP wan disconnect

Beckygentile
Aspirant

DHCP wan disconnect

I have the router and the satellite. When I first set this up within 4 hours the router would not get or keep an IP address from cable modem. I returned the product for a new one and 9 days later same problem. The firmware is up to date, nothing taxing even going on. This is ridiculous- rebooting everything from the modem on back has no impact and I know internet works because I can okug a desktop in directly and get online immediately. Does anyone have a solution or am I ditching netgear completely and finding another solution?
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8

Re: DHCP wan disconnect

@Beckygentile wrote:
When I first set this up within 4 hours the router would not get or keep an IP address from cable modem.

What symptoms do you see when this happens?

This bit is puzzling:

@Beckygentile wrote:
...I know internet works because I can okug a desktop in directly and get online immediately.

Plug desktop into what? The modem?

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@Beckygentile wrote:
I have the router and the satellite. When I first set this up within 4 hours the router would not get or keep an IP address from cable modem. I returned the product for a new one and 9 days later same problem. The firmware is up to date, nothing taxing even going on. This is ridiculous- rebooting everything from the modem on back has no impact and I know internet works because I can okug a desktop in directly and get online immediately. Does anyone have a solution or am I ditching netgear completely and finding another solution?

Message 3 of 8
Beckygentile
Aspirant

The firmware was 2.10.10 - found the new firmware and manually loaded it last night - hoping that solves the problem.

Modem mfr - I will have to look when I get home.  It doesn't give me those details online.

We have a 300/20MBs connection.

Orbi is acting in router mode - satellite is actually connected via CAT 6e

The satellite works great- everything does, but then this happens out of the blue.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know about the modem when you can. 

If you have the satellite connected via ethernet cable, you can disable Daisy Chain, Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Hope it works better for you.

@Beckygentile wrote:

The firmware was 2.10.10 - found the new firmware and manually loaded it last night - hoping that solves the problem.

Modem mfr - I will have to look when I get home.  It doesn't give me those details online.

We have a 300/20MBs connection.

Orbi is acting in router mode - satellite is actually connected via CAT 6e

The satellite works great- everything does, but then this happens out of the blue.

Message 5 of 8
Beckygentile
Aspirant

We notice because all wifi and lan are gone.  When I get on the web interfact to look at the ORBI router, that's when I see the fact that it doesn't have an IP address from the cable modem.

The cable modem - I have to look at the model - I have had it for some time, working well with a TP-Link and also my AirPort Extreme (neither of which are active now).

Yes, plugging the desktop directly into the cable modem gets out to internet immediately but when the desktop is plugged into the ORBI router - nada..

The cable model is definitley not a router - only a single port for the router to plug into.

I work in Technology, and honestly, I just need my network at home to work.  I really don't like having to spend ours messing around with the same crap I deal with all day long.

My Airport Extreme was awesome, but started dying.. and of course they are not making them any longer.

I did see an article that there was a new firmware available (even though the router didn't see it) and I updated to that last night - looks like there was a bug fix in it for just this situation.  Time will tell.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. 

Why it would be helpful to know about modem details so we can give you direction and suggestions base on this.

Be sure to swap in a good quality known working LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Hopefully the new FW will help. If you happen to notice this again, I would do a full factory ERASE on the Orbi router and setup from scratch. 

Message 7 of 8

@Beckygentile wrote:

The cable model is definitley not a router - only a single port for the router to plug into.

That's a good indicator, but not infallible.

My DM200 also has a single LAN port, but it also has limited router features. I have to disable them to get it to play nicely with a router.

Then there are modems that also deliver wifi.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7