Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DM200

davrod
Guide

DM200

I need to throw away the crap SagemCom modem/router supplied by Optus for my NBN/ADSL2 connection, and replace it with an ADSL Modem (only) and an Orbi mesh system

I was looking at the DM200 as the Modem but ive seens alot of people having issues putting it into bridge mode and having it work with Optus ADSL/NBN. Also i am aware that the DM200 is now discontinued

My question is what product could i now use in place of the DM200 to give me a reliable bridge from ADSL to the Orbi, as there doesnt seem to be an Orbi model with built in ADSL Modem

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DM200

I would ask first if your ISP what they officially support on there network. They may have a modem only unit which would be preferred if your doing to use a external router like Orbi. 

@davrod wrote:

I need to throw away the crap SagemCom modem/router supplied by Optus for my NBN/ADSL2 connection, and replace it with an ADSL Modem (only) and an Orbi mesh system

I was looking at the DM200 as the Modem but ive seens alot of people having issues putting it into bridge mode and having it work with Optus ADSL/NBN. Also i am aware that the DM200 is now discontinued

My question is what product could i now use in place of the DM200 to give me a reliable bridge from ADSL to the Orbi, as there doesnt seem to be an Orbi model with built in ADSL Modem

Thanks

Message 2 of 3

Re: DM200

@davrod wrote:

I was looking at the DM200 as the Modem but ive seens alot of people having issues putting it into bridge mode and having it work with Optus ADSL/NBN.

I have seen other reports of those problems, but they rarely come with a link that backs them up. That makes it hard to know why people had problems.

My experience is that the DM200 is one of the easiest devices to manage. And boy have a I tried a few.

It is simply a case of setting up the DM200 as a  modem only device before you add the router.

As to its suitability for your network, @FURRYe38 makes a good point but be warned that ISPs tend to be reluctant to recommend third party hardware. They'd rather rent you one of their own devices.

If there is a user community, that might also be a good place to ask. Some sales sites even list ISP compatibility.

@davrod wrote:

You don't want an Orbi with a built in ADSL Modem. Separate box solutions are better. You can stick with the router iof you change your ISP and/or Internet technology. And Netgear seems to put more effort into maintaining routers then ,modem/routers. Finally, the range of routers is much larger than the range of modem/routers.

You are already on the right track. Stick with it.

I see that you are on NBN. That can be the biggest obstacle, mostly because it comes in so many flavours.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

By the way, the compatibility list there is misleading, especially when it comes to DSL modem/routers. Yes, they may work on some of those services, but only in router only mode.

I have also used a modem/router combo in modem only mode. (Not the DM200, which is really just a modem with limited routering.) I found this to be a bad idea. It took so long to boot that by the time it had got an Internet connection the router had timed out. I ended up with a dead network.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7