Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNIWIFI

mgil1
Star

DNIWIFI

ORBI RBR50

firmware 2.2.1.10

OSMac

I have installed an RBR50 router with 4 internal satellites RBS50 (2 backhauled) and one external RBY50 and there is a sixth RBS50 that has configured itself with its own SSID ORBI78 with password and a netgear guest network.

In trying to clean the conbfig up it appears the router RBR50 is now transmitting an SSID called DNIWIFI which has no security associated with it-how do I get rid of this or put security on it>?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
mgil1
Star

Many Thanks - really helpful....

I've tried to reboot but it eventually reappears - will have to do a full reset across the whole system to find the problem when I have spare time - I suspect its linked to the last satellite that set up itsown SSID and didn't link into the main router

Thanks again

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The first step is to confirm that this rouge WiFi is actually being broadcast from the RBR50.  Most Wi-Fi analyzer programs will provide a list of SSID's along with MAC address.  (I use WiFi Analyzer on Android.  I'm sure there are equivalent apps for iPhone.)  Does this MAC address match the RBR50's MAC address?  (The "Attached Devices" page shows the MAC address of the router and satellites.) 

A Google search for "DNI WIFI" turns up references to Xerox work center laser printers.

Did you deliberately not sync the last DNS50 with the router, or did it refuse to?  I have no idea if there is a maximum number of satellites.  Six seems to be "a lot."

Message 2 of 13
mgil1
Star

Thanks for the advice - yes the DNIWIFI SSID has the same IP address as the RBR50 router

I've turned off the printer and DNIWIFI is still transmitting without any security

Message 3 of 13
mgil1
Star

OK, the wi-fi analyzer was good - I've figured out it is the RBR50 router and its over the 5Ghz frequency at the far end of around 100 

it also seems to drop in and out ...

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@mgil1 wrote:

I've turned off the printer and DNIWIFI is still transmitting without any security

Wow, was this actually a Xerox printer?  Could there be another one nearby?  This type of printer isn't one of those devices where "off" doesn't actually mean OFF is it?  (Like, "I'm not printing now, but I hear everything you say.")

Tracking down the exact frequency is a good step.  The Orbi only broadcasts a 5G SSID in channels from 36 to 48.  The "backhaul" 5G channels are above 100 but do not broadcast an SSID.   ekhalil has written up a great explanation of the Orbi radios in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Understanding-Orbi-Radio-Fronthaul-Backhaul/m-p/1671092

I have never heard of Orbi broadcasting an SSID that is not in the Wireless Setup.

Message 5 of 13
mgil1
Star

Ignore Printer posts - that was a red herring - I have a HP and it definitely is not the source of DNIWIFI - this SSID is definitely coming from the Orbi RBR 50 router on 5 GHz and at channel 100....

Message 6 of 13
mgil1
Star

I've figured out the DNIWIFI rogue SSID is being transmitted on the same channel and frequency as the 'Hidden Network' the Orbi creates for connecting the satellites (I guess) I've attached a snapshot of the outpout from the Analyzer

Screenshot 2019-03-24 at 08.46.13.jpg

Message 7 of 13
ekhalil
Master

The DNI config is the process of setting the user, country, network,.... etc specific parameters in Orbi.

If you see a DNIWIFI network (I've seen this recently in my router) then this simply means that the start process was not correctly completed in the Orbi Router.

A simple cure to this is to reboot the router.

You can read more about the DNI config process by printing the config file using telnet:

root@RBR50:/# cat /etc/dni-wifi-config

Message 8 of 13
mgil1
Star

Many Thanks - really helpful....

I've tried to reboot but it eventually reappears - will have to do a full reset across the whole system to find the problem when I have spare time - I suspect its linked to the last satellite that set up itsown SSID and didn't link into the main router

Thanks again

Message 9 of 13
mgil1
Star

This Orbvi 50 system is frustrating as it is brilliant once you get it stabilised!

I've finally figured out the problem - which also creates other issues like Satellite 'Waiting for Connection'

Final solution was to do a full Reinstall of the Router RBR50 - you do NOT have to reinstall the satellites - just turn them all off - and follow following

Reset RBR50 Router with the pin in the reset socket until it flashes amber - I gave it 20 seconds as even that procedure can be temperamental.

Then reset just the router up with whatever passords you orgininally had (this may not matter but may help with the syncing)

then turn each satellite on in turn - resynch each one and give each about 10 minutes to stabilise

then goto Admin/Firmware update and see if they're all connected

Note on the first reboot of the router I got the DNIWIFI network up again so had to reset a second time

Everything is now stable with 6 datellites including the outdoor one 🙂

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a new backup config file for safe keeping. If you need to reset again, you can re-load the back up from file and be up and running sooner than later. Smiley Wink

@mgil1 wrote:

This Orbvi 50 system is frustrating as it is brilliant once you get it stabilised!

I've finally figured out the problem - which also creates other issues like Satellite 'Waiting for Connection'

Final solution was to do a full Reinstall of the Router RBR50 - you do NOT have to reinstall the satellites - just turn them all off - and follow following

Reset RBR50 Router with the pin in the reset socket until it flashes amber - I gave it 20 seconds as even that procedure can be temperamental.

Then reset just the router up with whatever passords you orgininally had (this may not matter but may help with the syncing)

then turn each satellite on in turn - resynch each one and give each about 10 minutes to stabilise

then goto Admin/Firmware update and see if they're all connected

Note on the first reboot of the router I got the DNIWIFI network up again so had to reset a second time

Everything is now stable with 6 datellites including the outdoor one 🙂

Message 11 of 13
mgil1
Star

Great advice - wasn't awareof that feature - you have saved me a whole lot more grief for the next time I have to reinstall

Thank you

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

@mgil1 wrote:

Great advice - wasn't awareof that feature - you have saved me a whole lot more grief for the next time I have to reinstall

Thank you

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7