Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS Rebinding & Permitting a private domain

jasonrdunn
Star

DNS Rebinding & Permitting a private domain

I use PLEX with my Orbi, and a PLEX developer is helping me solve some issues. He's telling me to find the settings for DNS Rebinding and allow plex.direct to be permitted. The problem is, despite looking through every single setting screen I can find in the router, and doing many Google searches, I can't find out how to change this. I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong keywords, or perhaps Netgear calls this setting something different, but I'm at a loss and I'm hoping some kind person here can point me in the right direction.

May 19, 2019 16:23:00.336 [0x7ff3fdfc5700] WARN - HTTP error requesting GET https://192-168-1-86.cfe2e8f55fa04575ba91c03f1e27346e.plex.direct:32400 (0, No error) (Failed to connect to 192-

Your modem/router is has active DNS REBINDING protection enabled. This is how Plex finds other Plex hosts on your LAN. It does it by encoded name and not pure IP. To resolve this, in your modem/router, allow private domain plex.direct

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DNS Rebinding & Permitting a private domain

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Does making any changes to DNS under Setup/Internet do anything? 

Possible that this could be DNS proxy or DNS relay which means though you input a custom DNS for internet settings, regardless of what this address is, all connected client devices will get a 192.168.1.1 DNS address. 

Possible loop back support could be an issue as well. 

Something you might contact NG support about:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 2 of 8
jasonrdunn
Star

Hi there! Thanks for respoding. Firmware is V2.3.1.60. The modem is from CenturyLink and I have it in bridge mode, so it's not involved in DNS/IP dishing out at all. It functions as a "dumb" modem now. I will try contacting Netgear support since it seems there isn't a way to do what I need...though I suspect they'll just tell me it's not possible.

Message 3 of 8
jasonrdunn
Star

Wow....

Hardware Warranty: Expired
Phone Support: Expired
Email Support: Expired
Chat Support: Expired
Power Supply Warranty: Expired
Accessories Warranty: Expired

So Netgear will completely block customers using their products from contacting the company for support if the product is out of warranty? I've never seen that before...most places will offer some basic email support at worst. Wow. How utterly anti-consumer this approach is. Smiley Frustrated
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try contacting one of the forum Moderators...

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Message 6 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@jasonrdunn wrote:

May 19, 2019 16:23:00.336 [0x7ff3fdfc5700] WARN - HTTP error requesting GET https://192-168-1-86.cfe2e8f55fa04575ba91c03f1e27346e.plex.direct:32400 (0, No error) (Failed to connect to 192-

Your modem/router is has active DNS REBINDING protection enabled. This is how Plex finds other Plex hosts on your LAN. It does it by encoded name and not pure IP. To resolve this, in your modem/router, allow private domain plex.direct

Doesn't activating UPnP in Orbi help?

Message 7 of 8
jasonrdunn
Star

No. UPnP is already turned on it and it doesn't help - nor do I think it's applicable here as it relates to DNS, but I'm not sure on that. 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7