Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS problems

capGrundy
Aspirant

DNS problems

How do you have a static IP, but dynamic DNS?  When static IP is selected, you cannot change the DNS option.  

I just started having problems where my DNS would fail until I re-appliled the current settings in the router.  I currently have a static IP and DNS server set, but would be willing to switch to automatic DNS and manage it locally.

Is anyone else having problems with DNS recently?  It's not even all sites when it happens at first, but seems to start with Google, so it seems like a part of the DNS being lost.  I would expect this is a DNS issue, except I've tried different DNS servers, and resetting the page always fixes it.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
vajim
Master

@capGrundy wrote:

I'm going to see how C.i works out with the restarts.  A similar fix helped me with a proxy hang on my server.

If they persist, I appreciate the suggestion.  Since I was unwilling to pay for product support beyond the short warranty period, I'm not sure they would be willing to help me. 

Good luck.  This issue coupled with faulty firmware has finally gotten the NG moderators here involved.  Hopefully things will settle down for you and others soon.  

Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
vajim
Master

Message 2 of 12
capGrundy
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.  I had already done A, B, and F.  I did both C options to see if that helps.  D & E seem insane for an off the shelf of a commercial, user-friendly router.   

It's a strange juxtaposition, where so many basic features and support are paywalled, but fixes seem to require shell level skills to conduct.  

Message 3 of 12
vajim
Master

@capGrundy wrote:

Thank you for the response.  I had already done A, B, and F.  I did both C options to see if that helps.  D & E seem insane for an off the shelf of a commercial, user-friendly router.   

It's a strange juxtaposition, where so many basic features and support are paywalled, but fixes seem to require shell level skills to conduct.  

I believe your best bet is to reach out to @ChristineT 

Message 4 of 12
capGrundy
Aspirant

I'm going to see how C.i works out with the restarts.  A similar fix helped me with a proxy hang on my server.

If they persist, I appreciate the suggestion.  Since I was unwilling to pay for product support beyond the short warranty period, I'm not sure they would be willing to help me. 

Message 5 of 12
vajim
Master

@capGrundy wrote:

Good luck.  This issue coupled with faulty firmware has finally gotten the NG moderators here involved.  Hopefully things will settle down for you and others soon.  

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
MTownsend
Aspirant

I've been having the same issues this week on my system that I'd had for years. Was happy to see I'm not alone as I thought the HW might be giving up. For reference, if the mods see this, I had the slightly older 102 version still installed and updated to 104 to see if that would fix it. Just found the reddit post today and trying solution F (NTP fix) as that would make some sense as it just started happening this week. (Bug doesn't make sense, but the timing).
I did have a PiHole setup for DNS, but don't like how the DCHP server still sends the router IP out instead of the specified DNS server IP to every device, that never made sense to me before this either. Tore everything down to debug this problem this week and will have to rebuild the network after this is fixed hopefully soon. I feel for any non-techy person that runs into this issue as this will not be easy for them to figure out.

Matt

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 12
capGrundy
Aspirant

I haven't gotten too far into the weed on tracking it.  It just started on 2/13 I think.  Since I need to manually Apply the same page to kick it (reboot takes a lunar cycle), I don't think it was happening before.  Also, it seems to happen almost every day since then--with all forms of changes to DNS order, tweaks like NTP changes, ect, after each--so I feel like it's something systemic.

The funny part is I can't remember when I did the update, but it wasn't last week as far as I know.  Still, that was the only change I made recently, so maybe it's a creeping issue.  Something like a file/buffer overflow that has taken a while to fill.

As I mentioned, I did the manual DNSmasq and added a cron to do so nightly, but only since this morning, so I won't know for a while if that helped.So the good news for a bad problem is either you're not crazy..or not crazy alone at least.

Message 8 of 12
capGrundy
Aspirant

Just happened again, not even a few hours later, so feels worse. 

Message 9 of 12
MTownsend
Aspirant

@capGrundy wrote:

Just happened again, not even a few hours later, so feels worse. 

You setup the cron job to restart Dnsmasq ever so often? I assume that will/would work when that schedule hits. Mine router was haveing an issue more then once a day but 12-23 hours or so between issues. The cron job would need to run very often to shorten the outage times. 

Message 10 of 12
mwhold11
Tutor

Message 11 of 12
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

Engineering has determined that the issue is caused by the Traffic Meter. The quick workaround is to disable the traffic meter.

To disable traffic meter:
Access orbilogin.com > go to ADVANCED Tab > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter and uncheck Traffic Meter

Engineers are working on a firmware fix to be released.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7