Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS setting doesn't really work

lookout2015
Tutor

DNS setting doesn't really work

Installed the 3-pack Orbi system yesterday, updated to current firmware (1.4.0.34), reset, then configured and put into use. Overall has worked pretty well but I'm hitting one issue that's becoming a show stopper

My upstream provider is a cable company, so I have a cable modem in front of the Orbi. The DNS supplied by my cable company is broken in various ways (very slow, returns incorrect cached answers, doesn't return NXDOMAIN when a domain doesn't exist, etc) so I normally configure whatever router I have behind the cable modem do DHCP to pull IP address but then configure my own DNS servers

When I configure the Orbi to do this (Advanced settings: IPv6: Use These DNS Servers for IPv6; Setup: Internet Setup: Use These DNS servers for IPv4), and then configure the Orbi to do DHCP for my devices behind it, it does not work correctly. What I see is that they use the Orbi as their DNS (expected) but that the Orbi is relaying DNS to my cable company's broken DNS (what the cable modem got from DHCP) and not to the DNS servers I supplied in the settings (NOT expected)

Is this a known issue? Are there any workarounds or something I'm missing about how to configure this?

Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello lookout2015

Is there possibly DNS settings in the modem that you are using?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
MarkC1024
Luminary

What do you have set under Internet setup?  Is that still set to get automatically from ISP?

Message 3 of 6
lookout2015
Tutor

Nope. Nothing configurable in the modem at all -- it just passes what it gets from the ISP

Message 4 of 6
lookout2015
Tutor

Under Internet

- IP Address is set to Get Dynamically from ISP

- Domain Name Server Address is set to Use these

and then I have a primary and secondary filled out

I'm also using IPv6 so under Advanced, IPv6, IPv6 Domain Name Server I have Use these set and then a primary and secondary filled out

Message 5 of 6
MarkC1024
Luminary

Hard to say as I just use what is assigned - haven't really tested setting my own.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7