Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE RBR/RBS40 to 2.3.5.30 YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

inteller
Apprentice

DO NOT UPGRADE RBR/RBS40 to 2.3.5.30 YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

As usual if you are a NETGEAR Customer YOU ARE THE BETA TESTER!!!!!!  This firmware is ABSOLUTE and COMPLETE GARBAGE!  iOS devices WILL NOT STAY CONNECTED with this update.  Samsung mobile devices also exhibit intermittent connection issues.

WTF Netgear?  To busy trying to foist your Bitdefender armor garbage on people to actually test crap?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 40
Kmaniei
Aspirant

Unfortunately I did upgrade to this firmware version. It is absolutely horrible. Very unstable. I have 1 orbi router and 2 satellites. One of my satellite has zero device connected which is closest to several devices. The other satellite only 2 devices and the router 15. I have 400/20 but on my s10+ i only get 20/1 if I'm 6 feet away. How can I downgrade?
Message 2 of 40
komrade
Guide

Seeing the same issue on RBR20. Can't even connect to the router because it won't assign an IP address. Something to do with the DHCP maybe?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

Netgear should be ashamed for pushing out this garbage.
Message 4 of 40
komrade
Guide

I previously had my Guest network turned off. Connected a laptop via Ethernet to the main Router, enabled the Guest network and can connect to the internet through the Guest. Still can't get my regular network to give a device an IP though. Not confident it will last though...
Message 5 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

You should not be forced to use the guest network just to get your router to work. I experienced just the opposite, guest network made things worse.

UTTER GARBAGE NETGEAR!!!!
Message 6 of 40
komrade
Guide

got mine working for now:

1. Connected laptop to main Router via Ethernet
  2. Set a Static IP (Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup) and Add an Address Reservation for the laptop
  3. Turn off DHCP on Router
  4. Reboot Router
  5. Wait a few minutes for it to come fully back online
  6. Test connection with just Ethernet (mine worked fine)
  7. Re-enable DHCP
  8. Wait 5 minutes for it to fully load and devices should start to reconnect

Does that work for you?

Message 7 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

That is a complete garbage solution and you need to realize there are households with no ethernet ports on their devices.
Message 8 of 40
komrade
Guide

i hear ya man, just trying to be helpful. I have a USB to Ethernet adaptor and a short ethernet cable just for this purpose.

Message 9 of 40
Kmaniei
Aspirant

The new firmware changed all the static ip addresses in my network. I had to login from my computer and reassign them. Total garbage. All because wants to force a trial version of anti virus. But the main issues is lowering the wifi connection from 280mb to 20-30mb for no reason. Netgear., Please provide downgrade option. My 8 years old wireless router works better than 3 netgear orbi now. This is absolutely unacceptable.
Message 10 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

You can manually downgrade, that's what I did. Had to log into the sat and downgrade it manually first, then the router.
Message 11 of 40
Kmaniei
Aspirant

Do you have the link for the firmware please? Rb40, rb20 and rbw30.
Message 12 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

You just go to the product page for your router and click on downloads.
Message 13 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to factory reset and setup from scratch after updating FW. Newer FW may cause some problems with just installing and continuing. Most users get better results after doing the factory reset and setup from scratch. Then save off a new backup config to file for that version of FW. 

@Kmaniei wrote:
The new firmware changed all the static ip addresses in my network. I had to login from my computer and reassign them. Total garbage. All because wants to force a trial version of anti virus. But the main issues is lowering the wifi connection from 280mb to 20-30mb for no reason. Netgear., Please provide downgrade option. My 8 years old wireless router works better than 3 netgear orbi now. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Message 14 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

NO. NO YOU DONT. That is so anti consumer and no one does that! I've upgraded all the firmware updates up to this point and have never had to do that. That is a garbage solution and a cheap ploy to excuse netgear from crappy firmware programming.
Message 15 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and it DOES help. Many issues solved by a reset. Proven. Some FW updates need a clean installation or there maybe bad residual code that needs to be cleared out. I agree, shouldn't have to however as a last resort or even preliminary reset maybe needed and should be performed. Many posts on resets resolve users issues after a FW update. Just the nature of the beast. Take it or leave it. Works well in most cases. 

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

It is COMPLETELY unreasonable in this day and age to require consumers to do a full router reset to apply an incremental firmware upgrade!  Especially after 5-10 upgrades go just fine!  It is a failure of development to produce a working firmware that can be upgraded in place.  If they can't produce that then it is their responsibility to the customer to document the need to reset and how to do it.  NOT advertising a firmware update on the administration page and allowing ppl to in place upgrade to it.

Message 17 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset are still valid and though not required, still a necessary troubleshooting step. There is a reason why the reset button AND Erase button in the UI is there. Perfedtly reasonable to do resets only when needed. Some cases are needed. It's solved many user mis-configurations. 

Good Luck. 

Message 18 of 40
MikeG63
Apprentice

Absolutely no issues here at all.  Updated, installed and re-booted with no dramas and all attached devices are fine.  Speeds are the same as before updating.

Your troubles should not put others off updating as I am sure there are many who will have a positive experience!!!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 19 of 40
Joboo7777
Apprentice

I think many issues are a result of activating some of the advanced features(Armor, Disney Circle, etc) and/or a combination of advanced configuration that takes you further from the default. I've seen this happen with other Router Vendors like ASUS and have always tried to minimize the amount of changes made from the default configuration. I'm not saying this is acceptable. You should be able to configue the device the way you want as long as its supported. I also see people separating the 2.4ghz SSID from the 5ghz and I wonder if this causes issues as well. 

Message 20 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Been many issues reported with the security apps, seems to be mixed bag of working or not working. OF course, any app you enabled just adds to more porcessing of data. 

Separation of SSIDs isn't supported so seen users posts of seeing problems after they separate SSIDs. Setting back to single or factory reest and setup from scratch resolves this. 

Message 21 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

havent activated Circle or Armor, cause that junk has been broken from the get go and NETGEAR refuses to fix it.  Simply put, it is beyond reasonable expectation to have someone completely reset their modem to apply a firmware update in this day and age.

Message 22 of 40
fljoemon
Guide

So what is the most recommended stable working firmware for the RBK50 & RBS50? Planning on buying the router + 2 satellites from Costco soon and wanted to make sure that everything works okay without any hiccups. Thanks!

Message 23 of 40
inteller
Apprentice

2.3.1.60 is solid

Message 24 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.3.5.30 is stable. Runing in AP mode currently. Zero issues. 

Make sure you update your new system to v2.0.0.74 first, then graduate to the latest. You have to update the RBS first, then RBR. 

@fljoemon wrote:

So what is the most recommended stable working firmware for the RBK50 & RBS50? Planning on buying the router + 2 satellites from Costco soon and wanted to make sure that everything works okay without any hiccups. Thanks!

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7