Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DTIM Beacon Interval

AdrianM
Tutor

DTIM Beacon Interval

I can only assume that there is no way to alter the Beacon Interval for Orbi - given the number of times this question arises from users of other Netgear WiFi routers. Or am I being too pessimistic? This would be a real PITA as I have numerous battery powered robots that I "tuned" the interval on my previous OpenWRT setup to get minimal standby current:

While in Modem-sleep, the ESP8266 will disable the modem (WiFi) as much as possible. It turns off the modem between DTIM Beacon intervals. This interval is set by your router.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

There is CTR/RTS values that can be changed as others have mentioned here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Have-to-keep-rebooting-my-RBR50/m-p/1658603/highlight/false#M4...

I don't see anything regarding DTIM though in the UI...

Have you gone into telnet of the router and done any changes there? 

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@AdrianM wrote:

I can only assume that there is no way to alter the Beacon Interval for Orbi - given the number of times this question arises from users of other Netgear WiFi routers. Or am I being too pessimistic? This would be a real PITA as I have numerous battery powered robots that I "tuned" the interval on my previous OpenWRT setup to get minimal standby current:

While in Modem-sleep, the ESP8266 will disable the modem (WiFi) as much as possible. It turns off the modem between DTIM Beacon intervals. This interval is set by your router.

The DTIM interval is the peroid of time to wake up wireless clients from Sleep Mode. 

Currently, change of this interval is not possible in Orbi settings.

Message 3 of 5
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

There's a configuration variable in NVRAM.

# config show | grep -i dtim

wl_dtim=1

You can telnet into the Orbi and change it.

# config set wl_dtim=4

# config commit

I don't know whether a change to the main Orbi will propagate to satellites or whether you'd need to telnet into each unit. Whether changing this variable will have the desired effect is left as an exercise for the reader.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@AdrianM - did you try this and did it work?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7