Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Daisy Chain - Checked or Not Checked

stevefxp
Apprentice

Daisy Chain - Checked or Not Checked

I am running with a RBR50 and RBW30. The RBR50 satellite is wired ethernet connected to the router. Since the RBW30 does not have an ethernet port it is connected via wireless backhaul. If I have Enable Daisy Chain Topology checked then the backhaul status on both satellites shows as Good. If I have Enable Daisy Chain Topology unchecked then the backhaul status on the RBW30 shows as Poor. Does this mean it cannot establish a clean backhaul to the router, as I am assuming the RBW30 is connecting via wireless backhaul to the other satellite when Enable Daisy Chain Topology is checked.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Daisy Chain - Checked or Not Checked

A housekeeping bit of trivia: the router is model RBR50 ("R" for Router) and the satellite is RBS50 ("S" for satellite).  I know it is nit-picking, but sometimes we go off on tangents thinking a question is about one device when it is actually about another.

Yes, your analysis sounds "spot on" to me.  When Daisy Chain is OFF, every device must connect directly to the router, no matter how poor the signal is.  When Daisy Chain is ON, a satellite can connect to whichever device gets the best signal.  In your case, it appears that the RBS50 satellite provides a better path for the RBW30.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Daisy Chain - Checked or Not Checked

If you only have 1 RBW then Daisy Chain can be disabled as this feature needs two or more satellites to be of benefit. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@stevefxp wrote:

I am running with a RBR50 and RBW30. The RBR50 satellite is wired ethernet connected to the router. Since the RBW30 does not have an ethernet port it is connected via wireless backhaul. If I have Enable Daisy Chain Topology checked then the backhaul status on both satellites shows as Good. If I have Enable Daisy Chain Topology unchecked then the backhaul status on the RBW30 shows as Poor. Does this mean it cannot establish a clean backhaul to the router, as I am assuming the RBW30 is connecting via wireless backhaul to the other satellite when Enable Daisy Chain Topology is checked.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7