Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Daisy Chain

Ocoee
Aspirant

Daisy Chain

Which Orbi would have the best range for daisy chain? What is the optimal distance for an Orbi from router - clear line of sight. Assuming clear line of sight, If I have two orbi's chained in a line how far would the second one be - linear distance. I am trying to get wifi across a large field. 

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Daisy Chain

What is the distance your trying to get across. 

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Other have reported 50 and 60 feet. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with @FURRYe38 .  How far is "large".  A quick Google search turns up anecdotes of 5G signals (which Orbi uses for backhaul) working anywhere from 60 to 100 ft. in open space.  Leaving aside the problem of Orbi's not being designed to "outside", this does not seem to meet any definition of "large".  Several forum members have commented about their use of inexpensive (about $50) Ubiquiti Nanostation products to span distances.

Message 3 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

This is how I determined my Satellite placement/distance.  First, I install/setup the Orbi router and test its range with my phone to ensure that WiFi signal/speed is still acceptable at the desired Satellite location.  Then I place my first Orbi Satellite there.  Rinse and repeat with 2nd Satellite.

If the Orbi signal can reach my phone, it will not have any trouble reaching the Satellite either.  Just to give a point of reference, the distance between my Orbi/Satellite is about 40-50ft with few walls in between.

You can try similar expermiments using your phone/device and see how far can you get away with.  Rinse and repeate with 2nd/3rd Satellites.

Message 4 of 5

The Orbi manual is always a good place to start:

Maximum recommended distance. Place your camera a maximum of 300 feet (90 meters) from the SmartHub. The maximum line-of-sight range of 300 feet is reduced by each wall, ceiling, or other major obstruction between the camera and SmartHub.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7