Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Daisy Chaining two LAN ports of RBS20 to other network wired device

zhtway
Aspirant

Daisy Chaining two LAN ports of RBS20 to other network wired device

There are two LAN ports at the back of RBS 20. Satellite unit.

one port is connected to the switch.

Can I connect another port to the network Printer?

If so, will that RBS20 be working as pass through switch  ( means my printer would get the IP from my router) or a router ( my printer is invisible from my primary network)?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I have an RBS20 hardwired to a switch then on to the RBR50.  The switch is on one side of the wall and the RBS20 is on the other side of the wall.  I didn't feel like running another cable through the wall to connect it to my TV so I connected the TV to the RBS20.  The IP is assigned from the router and is visible from the GUI and also on the Orbi app.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@zhtway wrote:

There are two LAN ports at the back of RBS 20. Satellite unit.

one port is connected to the switch.

Can I connect another port to the network Printer?

If so, will that RBS20 be working as pass through switch  ( means my printer would get the IP from my router) or a router ( my printer is invisible from my primary network)?

The question appears "ambiguous" to me. Sorry

• One port is connected to the "switch".
    Does that mean it is connected to the Orbi router, or to some other equipment?
  • When devices are connected to the router or any of the satellites, DHCP requests for an IP address will be answered by the Orbi router as long as it is in "router mode" (not Access Point (AP) mode).
  • "Invisible from my primary network" sort of implies that the Orbi is connected to a router and other devices are connected directly to that router. Any devices connected to the Orbi will be hidden from the primary network (because they are "behind" the Orbi router).

If the goal is to have everything in the house be in one network, then the Orbi should be put into Access Point mode and every device will get an IP address from the primary router.

Or..... I have misunderstood the question.

Message 2 of 5
zhtway
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

This Orbi RBS20 is connected to the RBR20 (router) on one port (through the switch).

RBS20 (Satellite Unit) has two LAN ports.

So one is used up (to the router above).

From the remaining port, I want to connect to the other device (printer) near that Orbi Satellite.

Will that device be visible in my network?

Devices are at my other location. So I couldn't test it yet.

I think it will be.

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I have an RBS20 hardwired to a switch then on to the RBR50.  The switch is on one side of the wall and the RBS20 is on the other side of the wall.  I didn't feel like running another cable through the wall to connect it to my TV so I connected the TV to the RBS20.  The IP is assigned from the router and is visible from the GUI and also on the Orbi app.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
zhtway
Aspirant

Thanks. I guess RBS20 works as a pass through switch like in most VoIP Phones.

But I couldn't find the explaination in anywhere. 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7