Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Daylight Savings Time, NTP, DNS Issues

thescinema
Guide

Daylight Savings Time, NTP, DNS Issues

Something is going on with Orbi routers and NTP/DNS. 

Since the time change, many users are reporting issues with their DNS failing since the time change:
https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/m5l3vk/orbi_dropping_dns/

Having same exact issue. It HAS to be related to the DST change, since DNS was working perfectly well for (I presume) all of us prior to the DST change.

I checked a few other forum posts here in the Netgear Community and no one seems to have a solid answer on this.

My modem (Arris CM8200A) does zero routing, it's just a modem, so it's not a matter of any NTP traffic being blocked or due to a NAT issue.

I took advice of folks in the above reddit thread and on the RBR50 I set NTP manually to the closest nist.gov server, toggled DST on/off, and lastly set DNS servers manually. This did not resolve the issue, and so I had to go around and manually set DNS on our computers and phones.

It seems like this is a recurring issue with Netgear/Orbi. Apparently this has been a problem on multiple firmware versions for a long time.

Netgear needs to get on this, now.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Users will need to make contact with NG support and let them know what your seeing. For the most part if all troubleshooting has been exhausted, NG needs to be contacted. 

Some users have had some luck in setting NTP with other servers, Factory resets or downgrade FW as last resort. Other may have not seen this issue as well. 

Message 2 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

You can reach out to forum moderators as well:

@Blanca_O @Christian_R 

Message 3 of 40
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 

is this related to the latest firmware?

did it effect you?

Message 4 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have mentioned not seeing this, even with latest FW loaded until just this weekend/week. I haven't seen this on my RBK50 system. 

Message 5 of 40
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Others have mentioned not seeing this, even with latest FW loaded until just this weekend/week. I haven't seen this on my RBK50 system. 

When did daylight savings time begin?

you should clone your system.  You never seem to suffer from bad firmware 

Message 6 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Sunday. 

Message 7 of 40
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sunday. 

Bingo 

bad firmware lying in wait 

Message 8 of 40
jreed336
Initiate

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!  Reddit is dead on with the issues as well. 

Seeing this on my rbk50 setup as well. Started Sunday. I thought it was Comcast service or Comcast DNS. Changed to 8.8.8.8 as primary and reoccurs every night and usually a few times a day. Killing me trying to work and kids online school.

I upgraded to V2.7.2.104 in hopes to resolve the issue (not reading this forum first). Had been on previous firmware prior. So both builds seem faulty.

Will try some of the reddit workarounds to see if it can give me some time until this can be fxed. I'm hopeful Netgear will respond here about it. These continuing problems are going to keep pushing us customers to other products. 

Message 9 of 40
vajim
Master

@jreed336 wrote:

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!  Reddit is dead on with the issues as well. 

Seeing this on my rbk50 setup as well. Started Sunday. I thought it was Comcast service or Comcast DNS. Changed to 8.8.8.8 as primary and reoccurs every night and usually a few times a day. Killing me trying to work and kids online school.

I upgraded to V2.7.2.104 in hopes to resolve the issue (not reading this forum first). Had been on previous firmware prior. So both builds seem faulty.

Will try some of the reddit workarounds to see if it can give me some time until this can be fxed. I'm hopeful Netgear will respond here about it. These continuing problems are going to keep pushing us customers to other products. 

Making sure Team @FURRYe38 knows about this

Message 10 of 40

Message 11 of 40
vajim
Master

Message 12 of 40
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Orbi Community,

The issue has been forwarded already to engineers.

If you are willing to work on the issue, please send me a private message by clicking on this link and I will PM you requesting for more information. We appreciate your help working on this issue.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 13 of 40
thescinema
Guide

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi Orbi Community,

If you are willing to work on the issue, please send me a private message by clicking on this link and I will PM you requesting for more information. We appreciate your help working on this issue.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

PM Sent. Really do not want to do a factory reset. I know I can just restore from a backup but I am concerned about the satellites not being re-added after the restore. If I can confirm the satellites will work without re-pairing them with the main router, then I'd be OK with a factory reset as a test. Ideally I would like to just have this fixed, though.

Message 14 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS will re-sync to the RBR if you use same SSID name and PW if you reset the RBR. 

Message 15 of 40
vajim
Master

@thescinema wrote:

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi Orbi Community,

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

PM Sent. Really do not want to do a factory reset. I know I can just restore from a backup but I am concerned about the satellites not being re-added after the restore. If I can confirm the satellites will work without re-pairing them with the main router, then I'd be OK with a factory reset as a test. Ideally I would like to just have this fixed, though.

Great...please let the NG moderators help with your problem

Message 16 of 40
thescinema
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The RBS will re-sync to the RBR if you use same SSID name and PW if you reset the RBR. 

I use three satellites and only one of them re-synced with the RBR after the factory reset & restore the config backup. Had to factory reset and re-add the other two. Kind of a pain since one of them was in the ceiling of our detached garage.

Message 17 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing to try before a reset, try a power cycle for the one in the garage. Power OFF for 15 seconds then back on to see if it will reconnect on it's own. Sometimes thats all thats needed on the RBS. 

@thescinema wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I use three satellites and only one of them re-synced with the RBR after the factory reset & restore the config backup. Had to factory reset and re-add the other two. Kind of a pain since one of them was in the ceiling of our detached garage.

Message 18 of 40
cnichols915
Tutor

I have the RBR10 - (RBK13) 3 pack from Costco, a Router and two satellites (Orbi).

Same issue, my laptop and phones won't stay on the network, constantly rebooting the router, laptop says DNS issues.  will hope to be able to manually reset the DST.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 19 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Try DST and if your using Traffic Meter, disable that first off. Then re-enable DST. Also try a different time server as well. time.nist.gov as a suggestion. 

@cnichols915 wrote:

I have the RBR10 - (RBK13) 3 pack from Costco, a Router and two satellites (Orbi).

Same issue, my laptop and phones won't stay on the network, constantly rebooting the router, laptop says DNS issues.  will hope to be able to manually reset the DST.

Message 20 of 40
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Orbi Commuinty, 

Engineering was able to discover the cause of this issue and they are working on a fix in regards to the disconnections. 

The issue comes from Traffic meter while daylight saving is enabled. The quick workaround is to disable the traffic meter. 

To disable traffic meter:
Access orbilogin.com > go to ADVANCED Tab > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter and uncheck Traffic Meter

We appreciate all your cooperation and patience working with us. We will provide update once we have the fix firmware.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 21 of 40
jim_k943
Initiate

Went in to disable the Traffic Manager (Internet Traffic Manager on the Orbi rbr50?) and found it was never enabled, Yet, I'm still seeing the issue.

Message 22 of 40
TFuser
Aspirant

I'm really not sure why, but when I go to orbilogin.com, I am not able to login?  What am I doing wrong?  I'm sorry but this is the most frustrating issue I have ever encountered!

Message 23 of 40
Wire1852
Apprentice

Whatever Netgear/Orbi is doing it's really screwing up logging into the router with a web browser. For me when I log on to router the pages are totally jumbled & unusable & I'm using an older FW version (2.5.1.16). I tried logging in with Chrome or Edge on Windows 10 with the same result. This happened even after clearing browser's data

When I tried logging into router several weeks ago, there was no issue. Netgear staff should stop reading the Consumer Report's reviews & fix the damn problems.

Message 24 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Be sure that Traffic Meter is not enabled. 

Set DST to enabled and use either NG time servers or find a different one to use. 

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7