Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Daylight Savings Time, NTP, DNS Issues

PebbleChamp
Tutor

Hi Blanca,

I came over from another post in the forum (link). I actually started experiencing the issue prior to DST, and I did not have traffic meter turned on. Therefore, the engineers may be limiting their search too narrow. I've tried all of the suggestions here and in the other link. Suprisingly, a router *or* a modem rest fixes the issue for me (yet only temporarily). Like others, I thought it may have been Comcast's fault so I went and got a new modem from them, but no dice... it's Orbi's fault.

I've done all of the following:

- Updated RBR50 and RBS50(x2) firmware I was on v2.5.x.x when it started and so I was hoping udpating to v2.7.2.104 would fix it

- Hard reset on all devices (unplugged and waited 60 sec)

- Factory reset for all devices twice (followed by a manual set-up and a the second time off backup config)

- Turning off DHCP and maually assigning IPs

One baffling thing is that when the connection "stops" any devices streaming (whether it's video to TVs, which could initially be writte off as buffered, or live meetings and classes over Zoom and Teams) will continue streaming that specific stream until you close it, but any new traffic (browsers, Office365 synching, etc.) on the same devices with active live streams going will not load. Meanwhile, Orbi's status page says that everything is all good! 🤦‍♂️ I'm not a network engineer, but this clearly soudns like a router problem. 

What concerns me most is if this is a security concern that's being exploited. This problem continues to wreck chaos on my work and kids' school the past ~3 weeks (read ~1 week *prior* to DST), but this sytem wasn't cheap has been rendered useless for all intents and purposes.

Actually, I was planning to upgrade to a Nighthawk WiFi6 system, since now I amp permanently WFH, but now I'm really concerned. Will NG offer us some sort of a discount off new equipment to make up for this huge problem?? (And, even more important, ensure us this problem won't happen with their higher-end equipment!)

Message 26 of 40
ShaneAN
Tutor

Blanca / Netgear Support,

This is the second time in 2 years that a firmware update has broken my setup.  The first bricked the main router unit.  This one has the system non-functional as inconsistent sharing of internet to my devices makes using the routers impossible.  I've spent about 6 hours trying to fix this issue -- between researching the issue online, attempting to reconfigure DNS settings, deleting and restoring config files, factory resetting and then attempting to reset devices, etc.  

The most FRUSTRATING thing here is -- when Netgear sends out FAULTY firmware to previously working devices -- it BREAKS OUR SETUP -- and then Netgear doesn't offer tech support to users who have had their systems for over 3 months without trying to bilk us for $100 to speak with someone about the issue NETGEAR CAUSED.

This corrupt practice amounts to highway robbery.  You can't break our systems and then waste our time and then extort us for money to fix them.  I'm not alone in this assessment.  A simple search of Better Business Bureau's page on Netgear shows that customers are fed up.

Time to find a lawyer for the class action.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 40
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Orbi Community,

In our engineers investigation, the cause is identified as the incorrect behavior on traffic meter which will constantly do some setting on router DNS while daylight saving is turned on. And this could possibly make the DNS query unstable. 

Workaround solution: Turn off traffic meter. 

Access orbilogin.com > go to ADVANCED Tab > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter and uncheck "Traffic Meter"

Fix firmware is now available to resolve the issue even if the traffic meter is enabled. Kindly let me know or send me a private message by clicking this link if you would like to test it. 

Regards,

Blanca

Community Team

Message 29 of 40
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ShaneAN

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 30 of 40
ShaneAN
Tutor

Hi Blanca,

Thanks for the reply... but what exactly will escalating this issue to another tier of support do?

Will it prevent future breakdowns of my system made by buggy firmware pushed to my router by Netgear?

Will it fix the RIDICULOUS, paltry 3 month limit to support that netgear has given me for the purchase of my 400 dollar router to allow me to speak to a person the next time Netgear breaks my router function with buggy updates WITHOUT having to spend a hundred dollars to do so?

Will it get me back the 5 hours of troubleshooting and net searching I had to do to try and find a solution to this breakage caused by buggy firmware pushed out by Netgear engineers? Or the 8-10 for the previous?

Blanca... If tier 2 support can't fix Netgear's faulty engineering, or remedy the lack of support offered in such cases (without extortion)... I'm not entirely sure what the point of wasting any more of my time is.

Did I mention that when I called support about this issue and said, definitively, that I would not be paying a hundred dollars to speak to someone about this issue -- the phone representative hung up on me.
Message 31 of 40
chozian
Aspirant

Hello Blanca,

Yes, I would like to test the fix firmware. Thanks!

Regards,

Chris Hozian

Message 32 of 40
vajim
Master

@chozian wrote:

Hello Blanca,

Yes, I would like to test the fix firmware. Thanks!

Regards,

Chris Hozian

ask them how much they pay.

Message 33 of 40
SCMrEason
Guide

I was having the same problem in late March, after working perfectly for five months. This solution worked for me (thanks again @CrimpOn, I'm just paying it forward).

"There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted. Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply." - @CrimpOn 

Message 34 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

You can ask the forum moderator for a beta if you like thats being offered. 

@SCMrEason wrote:

I was having the same problem in late March, after working perfectly for five months. This solution worked for me (thanks again @CrimpOn, I'm just paying it forward).

"There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted. Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply." - @CrimpOn 

Message 35 of 40
mini4mw
Guide

I still have traffic meter running but DST is off

( I turned DST off (Advanced->administration->NTP->uncheck DST)

When it is on the issue happens every few hours.  

Having to re-image the device is unacceptable answer.  Unless you've been making mods you shouldn't or have a complex configuration you cant remember everything you set, its not a solution.  These things are pretty basic if you just setup out of the box. No reason the home user would need to do something like this.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 36 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset is a valid and has been a troubleshooting step for a long time. I have TM and DST now enabled again and have not seen this issue reappear. 

A reset of course is a last resort option and DOES help weed out bad configuration and any lingering old code. Does help in manhy cases. It's  support wide troubleshooting step. You choice other. Others have used it and have had good results in getting ther systems working better. These may seem "basic" for a lamen user however these are fairly complex systems that involve lots of behind the scenes operations. So sometimes a reset maybe needed. Also a good lamen would have backup configurations saved just in case a reset is needed. 

Ask the forum moderator for the new beta if you want to try it. If you don't feel like doing any troubleshooting for trying out the beta, then you'll need to contact NG support for there help and information.

Good Luck. 

@mini4mw wrote:

Having to re-image the device is unacceptable answer.  Unless you've been making mods you shouldn't or have a complex configuration you cant remember everything you set, its not a solution.  These things are pretty basic if you just setup out of the box. No reason the home user would need to do something like this.

Message 37 of 40
vajim
Master

@mini4mw wrote:

I agree and I believe what you'll find on this forum is that there are several folks who live on the edge.  They want you and me to try ever piece of firmware as soon as it comes out regardless of the risk.  When things do go bad as they often do, they feel the answer is to reboot and or perform a factory reset,...oh and don't forget to save the config file. Then they wonder why the average user doesn't get it.  My favorite expression is..."well,... so and so firmware works on my machine so it should work on your machine."   Netgear states that a factory reset is 'mainly for cases where the user forget the password to login to the router.  Making matters worse is when you and I express our feelings we're subject to personal attacks.  Thanks

Message 38 of 40
jeffnielson
Aspirant

Any updates on when this will come out?

I still have issues.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 39 of 40
CrimpOn
Guru

@jeffnielson wrote:

Any updates on when this will come out?

I still have issues.

The Traffic Meter/Daylight Saving Time issue was resolved in April when the Traffic Meter 'turned over' to the next month.

If you are still having issues, creating a new post describing the situation in detail will be more effective than adding to this thread.

That TM/DST issue made the Orbi basically unusable and people were desperate.

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7