Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Decision point: keep Orbi or move on?

larryindublin
Luminary

Decision point: keep Orbi or move on?

So they have Auto-Updated us to 2.1.1.16. (RBK53 system, 1 router, 2 satellites)

I've decided to apply the update and see how things work. So far (2 hours in), so good.

I have turned off UPNP since many people seemed to point to it as a possible cause of some issues. Otherwise, running on mostly default settings. Not sure if default for these is still "off" but unless I have a good reason, I'm leaving them off:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

Now we'll see if they've addressed any of the issues or just fixed the cosmetic bug. Last chance Netgear.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
larryindublin
Luminary

Re: Decision point: keep Orbi or move on?

Oh, and I do use no-ip and an alternate DNS provider (OpenDNS).

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When they do an 'auto update' do you still have to login to your Orbi account and search (find) and install as it appears or does it automatically get pushed to your network?

Message 3 of 9
larryindublin
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

When they do an 'auto update' do you still have to login to your Orbi account and search (find) and install as it appears or does it automatically get pushed to your network?

Honestly don't know. I would HOPE it doesn't just update as we should be able to control the timing ourselves. I simply saw that 2.1.1.16 had been released and that someone mentioned it was auto-updated. I went to the firmware setting on the router and it said "downloading" and then I clicked "Update All".... a bit later both Router and Satellites rebooted and all reconnected. Hoping for some stability finally.

Message 4 of 9
joelinho
Apprentice

My ORBI system has been unstable since I bought it. I recently downgraded to V1.11.0.20 and enjoyed a few days of stability until the system decided to auto update to V2.0.0.74. Stability issues are back. Thank you auto update function! Saw that V2.1.1.16 was out so I updated to that hoping for some improvement. In vain it seems. It is as unstable as ever. Just did a factory reset in case that might fix something. Will monitor it for a few hours. Otherwise I will try to go back to V1.11.0.20 again. Oh, how I hate Netgear right now!

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 9
tagteam
Virtuoso

VAJim wrote:

I believe the update gets pushed, and installed, automatically after some (predetermined) period of inactivity. At least that's what occurred in my case (auto-updated overnight from 1.4.x to 2.0.x).

Message 6 of 9
webminster
Luminary

The new 2.1.1.16 is still buggy, wasn't a good idea for them to push that.  I have a Velop arriving tomorrow for comparison.  If it works at all reasonably I'll return the Orbi.   Just hasn't provided any warm fuzzy feelings.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 9
larryindublin
Luminary

@webminster wrote:

The new 2.1.1.16 is still buggy, wasn't a good idea for them to push that.  I have a Velop arriving tomorrow for comparison.  If it works at all reasonably I'll return the Orbi.   Just hasn't provided any warm fuzzy feelings.

The funny thing is I have 2 friends who have returned the Velop to move to Orbi and now swear by Orbi since Velop was buggy. Since I've been on 2.1.1.16 (a whole 8 or 9 hours now I think), I haven't had a drop or reboot. Only time will tell. I used to go weeks without having to manually reboot when I had a simple TPLINK Router and dual SSID's. 

Message 8 of 9
netgearguy
Apprentice

I've had multiple network drops (wi-fi and ethernet) since setting up a new RBK30 Orbi system today w/the new firmware. 

Did you change any default settings, or factory reset after the FW update?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7