Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Default Gateway is 10.0.0.1; how do I access my modem now?

BillYoung
Luminary

Default Gateway is 10.0.0.1; how do I access my modem now?

To anyone who is concerned:

Under my current network setup, I am unable to access my modem setup pages.  My Default Gateway is 10.0.0.1, which is the IP address of my Orbi.  If I attempt to access the last known modem IP address of 192.168.1.1, I get a time out (Firefox) or a page not found (Edge). 

So, the modem is in transparent bridge mode, and the Orbi is in Router mode.  This is being done to prevent the Orbi from getting a purple ring light.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.  How do I access my modem setup pages?

What FW is currently loaded? 2.1.4.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too? SMART/RG SR360n - placed in transparent bridge mode in order for the Orbi to work properly.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? approximately 1200 sq ft. 
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. approximately 40 ft.  building materials are plaster walls, wooden doors, and wooden doors with glass in between.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Channel 3 on 2.4Ghz..  Channel 48 on 5Ghz  6 Wifi neighbors near by.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

When modem/router combos are placed in full bridge mode, then some modem Mfr may not offer modem web page access anymore to the UI since it's DHCP services and such are disabled in bridge mode, there no need to access the modem for any reason. You will need to refer to the modems Mfr to see what is supported in bridge mode. In most cases, you won't need to access the modem in bridge mode which is fine.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

When modem/router combos are placed in full bridge mode, then some modem Mfr may not offer modem web page access anymore to the UI since it's DHCP services and such are disabled in bridge mode, there no need to access the modem for any reason. You will need to refer to the modems Mfr to see what is supported in bridge mode. In most cases, you won't need to access the modem in bridge mode which is fine.

Message 2 of 3
randomousity
Luminary

Other than what @FURRYe38 said, I had a cable modem (I don't remember whether it was a Motorola one, or a Netgear one) whose configuration page was at 192.168.100.1. You could give that a try. Or google your modem and see whether it's even accessible in bridge mode, and, if so, how. But I've also experienced that some modems, when in bridge mode, are, effectively, invisible on the network, at least from the LAN side. I have a dual cable modem/router from my ISP, and they offer wifi for an additional monthly charge. If you don't pay, the modem gets provisioned in bridge mode, and there's no way to connect to the modem's config page that I can figure out. If I power-cycle it with the coax disconnected, I can get into the modem settings, but, of course, there's no internet access. Connecting the coax requires a power cycle to get it to register, at which point there's internet, but not config access anymore. Catch-22.

But, beyond that, what is it you hope to gain by accessing the modem config page? In my experience, there are few, if any, user-configurable settings. If it's super important to you for some reason, and if the modem being in bridge mode isn't set by your ISP, you ought to be able reset it and then choose to put it in router mode instead, and then set the Orbi in access point mode I suppose.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7