Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Defect: OrbiOS 2.1.1.12 Attached Devices Widget & Page

tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Where are you guys getting temperature numbers from? I see CPU utilization on the debug page but I see nothing related to temperature? Or are you telnet-ing to the device and running commands to get the reported temperature of the CPU and wireless chips?

Message 26 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tomsliwowski wrote:

Where are you guys getting temperature numbers from? I see CPU utilization on the debug page but I see nothing related to temperature? Or are you telnet-ing to the device and running commands to get the reported temperature of the CPU and wireless chips?

I am not aware of how to retrieve temperature numbers, only the utilization.

Message 27 of 69
aani75
Apprentice

It can't be hardware. many people are experiencing the same behavior. if it is really a hardware issue, or hardware issue caused by this firmware, Netgear should really recall ORBI hardware that are affected. I have RBK50 and RBK43 (only using satellites of RBK43 connecting to RBR50).

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 28 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@st_shaw wrote:

@TXGunLover wrote:

The router didn't "settle down" overnight.  CPU remains at 70%-90%.  Strangely, the Attached Devices Page HAD populated by this morning ~10-12 hours later.

HOWEVER, it's reflecting the satellites as below, but BOTH are connected and can be logged into and have devices connected to them.  Very strange... the CPU being the strangest part.

Something is wrong there.  My CPU shows 6.25% after 16 hours of uptime.  I'm in AP mode on the latest 2.1 FW.

Maybe you have bad hardware or malicious code on the router?

You could try logging into the router via telnet and running "top" to see what's eating the CPU. 

If so, then many folks have the bad hardware as reported on this and the other thread.  If it's malicious code, it was loaded only at the moment the new version was upgraded for me and these other users and persists after a factory reset.

The two processes consuming the processor are net-scan and hyd.

Message 29 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't know if Darren continues to read this thread or not, but I do have some additional information.  In my case, I can almost 100% trigger a wireless chipset reboot.  Whether this is what has been causing it all along or not, I cannot say.  Whether this is related to the high CPU utilization, I can't say either.

I can make the wireless reset on the router on demand with high load, but not just high wireless load, high wired load.  If I run a speed test at DSLReports from my ethernet connected server, the wireless chipset will disconnect all devices and reset.

If I run a different speedtest like speedtest.net, from a wireless device, I can cause the same disconnect of all devices.

May or may not be related to the high CPU issue, but definitely reproducable, even after another factory reset.

Message 30 of 69
st_shaw
Master

TXGunLover wrote:

The two processes consuming the processor are net-scan and hyd.

I have these processes also, but they are not using much CPU--no more than 0.3% and usually they don't even show in the list from top.

net-scan looks like the process used to identify attached devices. Makes sense, because you were also having issues with your attached devices display.

hyd looks like a process to manage the bridging of all the wired and wireless interfaces on the router.

Message 31 of 69
aani75
Apprentice

Do you have Disney Circle switch on. Probably not I think if you are in AP Mode?

Message 32 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@aani75 wrote:

Do you have Disney Circle switch on. Probably not I think if you are in AP Mode?

No, Disney Circle is not on.  I am in Router mode.

Message 33 of 69
spinkick
Apprentice

I'm in ap mode and show high utilization
Message 34 of 69
aani75
Apprentice

Hmmm, so this crack is happening no matter what is the configuration.

Netgear ?????? Pls. respond.

Message 35 of 69
alixvincent
Tutor

Having exact same issue as reported by aani75. Desktop shows no satellites and no attatched devices. Mobile app shows correct number of satellites but no attatched devices.

Message 36 of 69
alixvincent
Tutor

Update to my previous post: Now on desktop widget i see all 3 satellites, reported as disconnected. some of my attached devices are showning up. See attatched pdf. What am i supposed to do with the backhaul status? Thanks.

Message 37 of 69
Rich4
Aspirant

This is getting silly Netgear. I have the same issue with the no reported devices and no connected satellite. I did a factory reset and reloaded configuration and until I rebooted again all my connected devices came back. Sadly they all disappeared again when I did a reboot to try and get my satellite to connect, it was showing as disconnected when my devices came back. Following  the same process to get the connected devices back again has not worked again (tried twice). With 2 teenage kids I was hanging out for the new parental controls, which I missed when upgrading from my D7800. I'm even having issues with setting up circle on android seeing the app getting stuck due to the wait indication (circling arrow)  not progressing. All very frustrating.

Message 38 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My runtime today has decreased to less than 30 minutes before reboots according to the disconnects and the Uptime on the debut.htm screen.  

Message 39 of 69
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We are looking into the attached devices showing as 0 and I will also pass along the issue of the High CPU usage. 

DarrenM

Message 40 of 69
alixvincent
Tutor

I reverted back to v. 2.0.0.74 and now everything works again. All attached devices are showing up again. 

My Set up is RBR50 as AP and 3 RBS50.

Message 41 of 69
Rich4
Aspirant

@alixvincent wrote:

I reverted back to v. 2.0.0.74 and now everything works again. All attached devices are showing up again. 

My Set up is RBR50 as AP and 3 RBS50.

Cheers, I'm about to do the same. I should have done that straight away when I saw the thread rapidly expand when people were discovering the same "new features", but I really wanted the new parental control so stuck with it.

Message 42 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The sad thing is, based on the past few disasters of releases, they'll auto update them all to the high CPU utilization rebooting router every 25 minutes version for us anyway.

It will affect some and not others.  Then when they fix it, it'll affect the ones that weren't affected by it this time.

Message 43 of 69
mastervisa30
Luminary

Now i  got my first problem,no devices being shown.

I Have tried unplugged the main router and satellites and plugged in the main waited a minute then plugged in the satellites.

No devices being shown on my app,web browser.

This has never happend before this new firmware realese(Firmware-Version-2-1-1-12)

Message 44 of 69
mastervisa30
Luminary

Now i  got my first problem,no devices being shown.

I Have tried unplugged the main router and satellites and plugged in the main waited a minute then plugged in the satellites.

No devices being shown on my Orbi Mobile App,also doesnt work on web browser

This has never happend before this new firmware realese(Firmware-Version-2-1-1-12)

Message 45 of 69
aani75
Apprentice

Welcome to the defect club 🙂

Message 46 of 69
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you are having issues with High CPU usage or Attached devices showing 0 send me a Pm with your name, email and phone number also the serial and mac numbers of your orbi units. and I will get you over to our support team to work on these issues with you.

Thanks 

DarrenM

Message 47 of 69
mastervisa30
Luminary

I reverted back to v. 2.0.0.76 beta last night and now everything works again 🙂

Now i can se my devices again 🙂

I think there is a Big bug in the latest firmware?

Message 48 of 69
harshakavuri
Guide

After rolling back to 2.0 it was stable for a day or so now I am having restart problem again. It restated 2 times last night itself.

cpu utilization seems to be normal
Message 49 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OP here:

I purchased an Eero yesterday (3 unit 2nd gen and 1 beacon) and received it around 6 PM.  It was set up and has now run 16 hours without a single disconnect among 62 continually connected devices, or disconnects from another 30 devices that connect periodically as measured by a Fingbox, not anecdotal observation.

Other than having to enter about 30 port forwarding rules via an app versus a web interface, the setup was brainless and provides great feedback on node placement signal strength!

My RBK50 system with a router and 2 sats is packed in its boxes and on Craigslist.  So glad to finally have stable wifi thanks to Eero!!

Message 50 of 69
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7