Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Detached satellite

ArtLee
Apprentice

Detached satellite

After noticing a low speed at my wife's Mac at the far end of the house, I checked orbilogin and found the satellite was not listed as connected. What happened?  I'm not sure how to make them reconnect. 

i just recently installed the orbis and so far am not very happy that they don't seem to be very stable. I've been spoiled by my old Apple Extreme router with an Apple Express acting as an extender. I was excited when I got the orbis running and discovered great speed increase at my wife's Mac. Now I'm just about ready to return the orbis. 

Disappointed. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Detached satellite

@ArtLee wrote:

Also note the following--Mac OSX devices will NOT roam from AP to AP unless the signal drops way, way, down. It has to go down below -75 dBm.

Did not know that. Thank you... 

And, from my testing this morning, I see the sat's message "No Connection" means no device has connected to it. But, it is connected to the router. 

I'm testing a new location to see it the flakiness between router and sat gets fixed. 

It may be confusing but the Orbi system considers the connection of client "devices" different from the router's connection to the satellites. That's why the satelite is shown in a different table on the router.  The satellite is not just anohter cleint "device," it's a special unit connected on the separate 5 GHz dedicated backhaul channel.

If you look closely at the diagram on the satellite status page there are three connections shown there:

1) Router to satellite dedicated backhaul. This is shown on the left of the digram, between the router and sat.

2) 2.4 GHz client connections. This is on the right top of the diagram.

3) 5 GHz client connections. This is on the right bottom of the diagram.

The router-satellite connection is separate from the two client connections and the messages you noted.

Also, unless you have some sort of hardware problem, the flakiness is due to poor signal between the router and the satellite. It's up to you to find a geomtery that provides an adequate signal. If you have plaster, cinderblock, or stone walls, the signal will not travel far.  Unfortunately, Orbi provides almost zero information to assist you, other than the blue light.

I'd suggest starting with the router and satellite closer together than you'd perfer, to demonstrate they can maintain a stable connection. Then you can move the satellite farther away in small steps.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 21

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Try moving the router and satellite so they are closer together, or have fewer walls between. They use 5GHz RF to communicate and it is attenuated by building materials. The fact it worked for a while doesn't mean too much. RF is inherently variable and the units need to have a strong signal to remain stable.

Message 2 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

yes, there are 2 walls between the 2 orbis. In other words, a bedroom between the two.  If I move closer it would be out of range of my wife's computer. It would kinda around the corner putting 3 more walls between my wife's office. The house is L-shaped. The signal would be slicing through the walls at almost a parallel angle.

All the devices in the same room as the satellite, the living room, have always connected to the router not the satellite, which I thought strange. 

Message 3 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

I tried to sync. Now, I cannot log into 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin. I see a blank page there. For the satellite, I log into 192.168.1.4 and it reports your orbi satellite is up and running. and 2.4 GHZ no connecrtion; 5GHZ no connection. Now what???

I guess I don't know how to sync.

Message 4 of 21
st_shaw
Master

Once you've establish a router/satellite connection, there should be no need to manually re-sync.

I expect you cannot connect to the router now because your client is connected via WiFi to the sat, and the backhaul connection to the router is not present. (This is the root cause of your problem.)

Move your sat into the same room as your router.

Turn off both units.

Turn on router only. Leave sat off.

Connect your client to the router and login.

Now follow the sync procedure pasted below from the manual.

Once they've syncd once, you can move the satellite and router relative to each other such that you get a stable backhaul.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

To sync your satellite:
1. Place your satellite.
For more information, see Place Your Satellite on page 16.

2. Connect the satellite to a power source.

3. If the Power LED on the back of the satellite does not light, press the Power On/Off button.
The satellite ring LED pulses white. The satellite automatically finds the Orbi router’s WiFi signal and attempts to sync to the Orbi router.
The satellite ring LED lights one of the following colors for about three minutes and then turns off:
•Blue. The Orbi router and satellite successfully synced, and the connection between the router and satellite is good.
•Amber. The Orbi router and satellite successfully synced, and the connection between the router and satellite is fair. Consider moving the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router.
•Magenta. The Orbi router and satellite failed to sync.

4. If the satellite ring LED is magenta, move the satellite closer to the router and then sync the satellite to the router:
a.Press the Sync button on the back of the router.
b. Within two minutes, press the Sync button on the back of the satellite.
The satellite attempts to sync to the Orbi router. The satellite ring LED lights blue, amber, or magenta as described in Step 3 of this procedure and then turns off.

Message 5 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

Okay, I give up. I synced in the same room, following the docs. Now, an hour later they are either synced or not. The router says the satelite is connected. The satellite says there are  no connections. I still have a few days before I hit the 14 day deadline to return to BestBuy... 

Message 6 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

Still not sure what's going on. The sat is now15 feet from the router in the same room. I rebooted the router, then connected the sat. The sat went through the startup routine I expected, ending in solid blue. logging in to the router shows sat as a connected device. logging into sat says No Connection for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Does No Connection mean not connected to router, or no wireless device is connected to sat?

Message 7 of 21
st_shaw
Master

"2.4 GHz No Connection" and "5 GHz No Connection" means no wireless clients are connected to the satellite.

If the satellite came up Blue then it's connected to the router.  You can now power down and move the satellite to a different location and it will come up Blue, unless it's too far away from the router.

The 2.4 GHz band of the satellite should penetrate more walls than 5 GHz, so you don't necessarily need the sat in the same room as your wife's computer.  The speed will just be a little less on 2.4G than on 5G.

Message 8 of 21
st_shaw
Master

Also note the following--Mac OSX devices will NOT roam from AP to AP unless the signal drops way, way, down. It has to go down below -75 dBm.

So, if your Mac ever connects to the router, it will stay connected to the router, even if you put a satellite right next to it with a strong signal.

So, you should wait until you have the router and satellite powered up and running, then cycle WiFi OFF then ON on the Mac.  This should cause the Mac to connect to the strongest WiFi signal.

Message 9 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

And, from my testing this morning, I see the sat's message "No Connection" means no device has connected to it. But, it is connected to the router. 

I'm testing a new location to see it the flakiness between router and sat gets fixed. 

Message 10 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

The signal from the sat to my wife's computer was fantastic. The sat was about half-way between the router and my wife's computer. Both runs had two walls between. 

Message 11 of 21
st_shaw
Master

@ArtLee wrote:

It may be confusing but the Orbi system considers the connection of client "devices" different from the router's connection to the satellites. That's why the satelite is shown in a different table on the router.  The satellite is not just anohter cleint "device," it's a special unit connected on the separate 5 GHz dedicated backhaul channel.

If you look closely at the diagram on the satellite status page there are three connections shown there:

1) Router to satellite dedicated backhaul. This is shown on the left of the digram, between the router and sat.

2) 2.4 GHz client connections. This is on the right top of the diagram.

3) 5 GHz client connections. This is on the right bottom of the diagram.

The router-satellite connection is separate from the two client connections and the messages you noted.

Also, unless you have some sort of hardware problem, the flakiness is due to poor signal between the router and the satellite. It's up to you to find a geomtery that provides an adequate signal. If you have plaster, cinderblock, or stone walls, the signal will not travel far.  Unfortunately, Orbi provides almost zero information to assist you, other than the blue light.

I'd suggest starting with the router and satellite closer together than you'd perfer, to demonstrate they can maintain a stable connection. Then you can move the satellite farther away in small steps.

Message 12 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

Thanks. I think you've hit on it. Unfortunately, there is no way to measure signal strength for the 5GHz backhaul. Unless you've got a secret. Thanks for your help. 

Message 13 of 21

@ArtLee wrote:

Thanks. I think you've hit on it. Unfortunately, there is no way to measure signal strength for the 5GHz backhaul. Unless you've got a secret. Thanks for your help. 

the way i test the backhaul connection is to bring the orbi router and sat claoser together say 15 feet apart so you know the backhaul will be connected at max sync , connect a comp via ethernet to the orbi router and say a laptop connected by ethernet to the sat , then do a file transfer from the comp to kappy and back again , record those speeds as they are your benchmark

now move the sat and lappy further away and do the same and record , and keep moving further away 

for the most part i have found that about 10 to 15 meters or 30 to 50 feet is about the butter zone for distance between the router and sat and after that the backhaul wont sync as well and the recorded numbers start to drop 

doing the above will give you a specific location where you achieve the best backhaul sync and thus the best throughput and connectivity to all the clients connecting through the sat 

Message 14 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

I can do that! Thanks. Good tip. 

Message 15 of 21

btw when checking whats actually connected to the sat access ip gui via its ip address and it will show you the clients actually connected to the sat 

the orbi router now does not show whats actually connected to the sat just whats connected to the whole system 

Message 16 of 21
st_shaw
Master

I've done the same sort of testing, but I'm guessing most people wouldn't want to do it.

If you are up for manually testing the backhaul throughput, I would suggest you use iperf3. You can download the progam for Mac and PC.  https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

On a computer on one side of the backhaul run the command in server mode "iperf3 -s"

On the other side, run the command in client mode "iperf3 -c <IP OF SERVER> -t 30"

Repeat the client command after each change in the setup.

Message 17 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

Oh.  Now you're getting complicated. Maybe I'll pass on this... 

Message 18 of 21

@ArtLee wrote:

Oh.  Now you're getting complicated. Maybe I'll pass on this... 

i would agree , a simple file transfer will give you the answers you need to get the placement right 

iperf3 is good and lets you get down to nickles and dime type info but is a bit overkill for the one of testing you prob need to achieve 

Message 19 of 21
st_shaw
Master

I find iperf3 far simpler and faster to use than setting up a file transfer. To each his own though.

Message 20 of 21
ArtLee
Apprentice

Okay, I'll try it tonight.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 143 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements