Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Determining 2.4 GHz or 5GHz on Orbi

Onedark1
Aspirant

Determining 2.4 GHz or 5GHz on Orbi

Hello!

I have read a few posts on the fourm, and wanted to know how do I determine if I am using the 2.4 or 5GHz channel?

Thanks in advance!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

you can usually check on your client devices wireless adapters status as to what speed its connected at , the other way is to access the gui of the orbi router and look at the attached device list as its tells you both what band each device is connected to and what each is also connected to ( eg router or sat/s by mac address )

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies

you can usually check on your client devices wireless adapters status as to what speed its connected at , the other way is to access the gui of the orbi router and look at the attached device list as its tells you both what band each device is connected to and what each is also connected to ( eg router or sat/s by mac address )

Message 2 of 7
Betoxyz68
Aspirant

Can Orbi be forced to transmit in 5GHz only? This is a deciding factor if I buy this system?

Message 3 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@Betoxyz68 wrote:

Can Orbi be forced to transmit in 5GHz only? This is a deciding factor if I buy this system?

No. The 2.4 GHz power can be lowered but not turned off. Why do you need a 5 GHz only system?

Message 4 of 7

the orbi uses both 5 gig and 2.4 gig to best get the wifi working around your house , to disable it removes half the benefit of the orbi system

if you just want 5 gig why not look at the netgear ex8000 instead as you can have your existing 5 gig router  and add the ex8000 in just 5 gig

Message 5 of 7
Betoxyz68
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick response. I currently have 1 Netgear Nighthawk router in the middle of my 3,000 sq/ft single floor home with upto 1,000 Mbps internet speed. Wirelessly I get 322 down/158 up using 5 ghz and 63 down/13 up using 2.4 ghz while in the same room with the router on my iPhone 7. I’m struggling with my outdoor Nest cameras since they are the furthest from my router. Since I can currently choose between 2.5 and 5.0 ghz I found the 5 works the best. The extender that Cosme with my router does not help. I’m concerned that not having the ability to choose 5.0 ghz it will not solve my cameras issue.

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@Betoxyz68 wrote:

Thank you for your quick response. I currently have 1 Netgear Nighthawk router in the middle of my 3,000 sq/ft single floor home with upto 1,000 Mbps internet speed. Wirelessly I get 322 down/158 up using 5 ghz and 63 down/13 up using 2.4 ghz while in the same room with the router on my iPhone 7. I’m struggling with my outdoor Nest cameras since they are the furthest from my router. Since I can currently choose between 2.5 and 5.0 ghz I found the 5 works the best. The extender that Cosme with my router does not help. I’m concerned that not having the ability to choose 5.0 ghz it will not solve my cameras issue.

The reason you want both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz is because 2.4 penetrates walls much better and travels four to five times farther. If you operate with 5 GHz only, your far away cameras will likely perform poorly.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7