Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device List

migsta
Apprentice

Device List

Across ALL NETGEAR routers the device list is just in a complete MESS with respect to the GUI or iOS app. Any model, RAX120, RAX80, RBR50, etc. The device names and types either get reset or don’t take to the names given. It’s really BAD that NETGEAR does not care about this. This company is a joke with respect to customer care and support.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 30
Tmynch
Aspirant

I've one iPad & one iPhone that were recently updated to IOS 13.  I also have an IPad Mini that is too old to update to IOS 13.  The iPad mini now is only Apple device that can STILL log into the Orbi.  Could there be an issue that THE Orbi app was not updated to work with iOS 13?  Any solution to this issue?  Thanks.

Message 2 of 30
migsta
Apprentice

Device list for GUI and iOS have been messed up forever and getting worse. iOS version does not seem to matter as the same was happening with previous versions. And no Armor on their Rax series routers either. And the GUI is horrible from every aspect. Another NETGEAR being returned. Wish I could refund Orbi to as it’s not that great either. The iOS app and GUI app responds so slow and it looks so outdated. Google’s app is the best.
Message 3 of 30
Tmynch
Aspirant

My experience has been excellent with my Orbi WiFi as compared to yours.  This is the first time I have had an issue since Apple released IOS 13.  I hope it's just a matter Orbi updating their Apple App to work with Apple's recent IOS 13 update.  I sincerely hope you eventually experience some satisfaction with your Orbi system too.

Message 4 of 30
migsta
Apprentice

The RAX series routers are in a complete mess with the device list for the app and GUI. Orbi has been better before iOS 13 but the response on the Orbi GUI is horrible with the iOS app slightly better in response. Both are very outdated looking however.
Message 5 of 30
ekhalil
Master

@Tmynch wrote:

I've one iPad & one iPhone that were recently updated to IOS 13.  I also have an IPad Mini that is too old to update to IOS 13.  The iPad mini now is only Apple device that can STILL log into the Orbi.  Could there be an issue that THE Orbi app was not updated to work with iOS 13?  Any solution to this issue?  Thanks.

@Tmynch What issue do you see with the Orbi app on your iOS devices? Does the app crash or doesn't it connect to wifi? Have you tried forgetting the wifi network on the iOS device and connecting again?

I had iOS 13 since the beta few months ago and I never had any issue with the Orbi app on my iPhone.

Message 6 of 30
ekhalil
Master

@migsta wrote:
....... The device names and types either get reset or don’t take to the names given. ......
  1. The device names need to be manually configured by you, unless the device has a "bios" pre-defined name.
  2. The same thing goes for the device types, those are not automatically detected but need to be manually configured.

Device names can be configured either in the IP address reservation or in the device list by selecting every device individually.

Once the above are defined for a device (MAC address), Orbi will show the correct information in the device list every time the device is attached to Orbi.

Message 7 of 30
migsta
Apprentice

Yes, I know that I have to name the devices.  I do it with a lot of precision only to have it go awry with the RAX routers (GUI & iOS) and the Orbi (GUI & iOS).  It's better with Orbi but lately it's been messy on the GUI side and the iOS side.  On the RAX routers, it's all over the place with the RAX120 able to keep all the named devices but the device type all revert back to Unknown as soon as you come out of the app and back in.  On the RAX80 side, it's all over the place and mostly nothing sticks.  And, the Orbi GUI is so slow that it makes for an ordeal just to rename your devices.  The refresh after hitting apply is horrible.  The Obi iOS app is better but drab as well.

Honestly, Netgear doesn't care about this issue and most issues with their routers.

Message 8 of 30
ekhalil
Master

This forum is for Orbi and not for RAX routers. 

In Orbi device names and types don’t disappear after configuration, do you agree?

Also, I really don’t see that device name changing is noticeably “slow”. How long does is it take from the time you click Apply until the refresh is complete?

Message 9 of 30
migsta
Apprentice

On the web GUI Orbi device type and/or device model entered don't take for some devices - remain blank after applying.  The icons also don't reflect what's been picked if the device type does not take.  Goes back to the standard network/unknown icon.  And, it takes about 15 seconds to get your device list refreshed after hitting apply - too long in my opinion.  Also, the iOS app is bad in that sometimes the device type does not keep the icon - they go back to the standard network/unknown icon.  Just really bad experience with Orbi and managing device lists as with the RAX series routers.

Message 10 of 30
Joonbug99
Aspirant

I have an orbi RBK50. Up until the last update I had all of my devices named perfectly under the device list. After the last update the names all got reset to messy unidentifiable names. I renamed all of them (over 50) and closed the app. I went back in and nothing was saved. I can’t correct the names of my devices. This is terrible!!!!! PLEASE FIX THIS. PLEASE!!
Message 11 of 30
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

For your RBK50 (RBR50 and RBS50), upgrade your firmware to v2.5.1.8, as it corrects the device naming issue seen with the v2.5.0.x firmware.  Login to your router, and check for new firmware (Click Advanced tab and navigate to Adminstration -> Firmware Update).  If the v2.5.1.8 does not appear there, then you can download it manually from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

@Joonbug99 wrote:
I have an orbi RBK50. Up until the last update I had all of my devices named perfectly under the device list. After the last update the names all got reset to messy unidentifiable names. I renamed all of them (over 50) and closed the app. I went back in and nothing was saved. I can’t correct the names of my devices. This is terrible!!!!! PLEASE FIX THIS. PLEASE!!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, update to the latest FW version. NG has fixed most of this. Working better then v2.5.0x or v2.3.0x

@Joonbug99 wrote:

Message 13 of 30
Joonbug99
Aspirant

RBR50

Thank you for you fast response. I am running v2.5.0.38. When I look for an update it says “no new firmware version available” I logged in via my phone and a laptop and got the same message.
Message 14 of 30
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Joonbug99, as advised by tomschmidt, you can manually update the firmware for your Orbi router. The link below may help out.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Dexter

Message 15 of 30
Joonbug99
Aspirant

You are all awesome!!! Thanks for getting me this information. I found them and installed them. A bit cumbersome for pricey hardware but I love the orbi. Thanks again.
Message 16 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works out for you. 

@Joonbug99 wrote:
You are all awesome!!! Thanks for getting me this information. I found them and installed them. A bit cumbersome for pricey hardware but I love the orbi. Thanks again.

Message 17 of 30
Joonbug99
Aspirant

Update went well. I can only see 16 of my devices in the managed though. I rebooted and still the same. There seems to be no correlation as to what devices showed up and those that didn’t. I have some hubs/bridges and I am wondering if the new update is temperamental with them. No real reason why some and there and some are not.
Message 18 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What are these Hubs and bridges? Mfr and model? Any of these switches? 

I have several HP Gb switches behind my RBR50...all is connecting and showing up. Even on the wired RBS down in the basement. 

@Joonbug99 wrote:
Update went well. I can only see 16 of my devices in the managed though. I rebooted and still the same. There seems to be no correlation as to what devices showed up and those that didn’t. I have some hubs/bridges and I am wondering if the new update is temperamental with them. No real reason why some and there and some are not.

Message 19 of 30
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Note that unmanaged switches and network hubs will not be reported as attached devices, as they do not assigned IP addresses. I likewise have two unmanaged network switches, one of them between my RBR50 and its wired network to one of my RBS50 satellites.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 20 of 30
Joonbug99
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. This is disappointing.
Message 21 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

@Joonbug99 wrote:
Thanks for the info. This is disappointing.

If a device does not ask for an IP address, there is no information available for ANY router to say it is present.  On the other hand, if these switches DID appear in previous firmware and no longer appear, that is an issue.

Message 22 of 30
Joonbug99
Aspirant

All of my devices call for IP addresses. Prior to the update I Had 45+ devices. I could see everything about them. Status, connection type, name. It was great. Loved it. Now after the update I have 16 devices and there is no rhyme or reason to the 16 devices that are listed. I have doubles and triples of some devices and only one or two are listed. I know someone asked for bridge and hub names and model numbers. I will get those after this week. I’m not able to get that info right now. Sorry.
Message 23 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

I apologize if I have misread earlier messages. The Orbi was running firmware 2.5.0.38, which is known to mess up device information. The was a link to firmware 2.5.1.8, which people report has fixed those device problems. Did you manually update the router and satellite to firmware 2.5.1.8? If so, this is not "good news".
Message 24 of 30
Joonbug99
Aspirant

I did update the router and satellite manually from the links provided in this thread. It went great. However it didn’t solve the issue. Prior to the update I could “see” all of my devices. Their names were a mess and I could not save the changes I made to the device settings. After the update the device list shrunk to 16. Their names were incorrect but I can edit and save changes. Right now the function of the Orbi is great. It’s just the iOS app that is frustrating. I liked to be able to look at my list and see what was on my network to make sure there were no “unwanted” devices connected.
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7