Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device Requires Iphone Setup on 2.4G Network

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Device Requires Iphone Setup on 2.4G Network

I beleive this issue has been discussed before in another post asking about 2 SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5G networks. 

Part of the 'fix' was to reconfig(?) the Orbi to show the 2 SSIDs.

My current situation:

I have a device (Lacrosse weather station - C84428) which requires wifi setup through your iphone.  The iphone must be on a 2.4g network.  The orbi will only connect my iphone to the 5g network .   So now the weather station will act as a stand alone with no updates from the NWS since it can't connect to the wifi.

This can't be an isolated situation for i'm sure there are many devices on the market that require a iphone connection through a 2.4g network.  How are others fixing this?  I'm not wanting to reconfig the Orbi router as suggested in another posts.  With many devices coming on the market that require a 2.4G conenction I would think Netgear should address this problem.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Something else I thought of last night was to enable the guest 2.4g network.  Then log my iphone into the guest network.  I tried it for a few minutes but it didn't work.  The weather station still would not connect.  It may be because the app for the weather station is a bit quirky.

Technically this should work right?  Iphone is now on a 2.4G network?

Thanks
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Turn off your satellite(s).

Go into Orbi's admin GUI and set 5 GHZ power on the lowest setting (25%).

Now move far, far, away from Orbi (with a few walls between, maybe outside, maybe on the other side of the house) until you can no longer get a 5 GHz connection.

Your iPhone will be forced to connect on the 2.4 GHz band.

Setup what you need to setup.

Put Orbi settings back to where they were.

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks...not exactly.  What did work was to reduce power on the 5g and turn off one of the sats (closet to the weather display).  The phone went to 2.4 but the weather display still would not connect.  Moved the weather display right next to the Orbi router (up stairs) and the weather display connected. The phone was back on 5g. That's why I think there's something wrong with the weather display.  Got a note back to LaCrosse.  Thanks again.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7