Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device Set Up Question for Orbi RBK23

Alf_G
Aspirant

Device Set Up Question for Orbi RBK23

I'm considering replacing my Airport Extreme with an Orbi RBK23. The one thing holding me back is that in the years since I first set up the Airport my aquisition of WiFi dependent devices has exploded -- TVs, lightbulbs, AV recievers, printers, you name it. As painful as my poor and slow Internet is now I think having to enter new PWs would be pure torture. 

So my question is if I set up Orbi to have the exact same SSID and exact same password as my Airport now has will all my devices magically "see" Orbi or will I still have to tinker with all my WiFi devices?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

I also changed from Airport Extreme and Time Capsule to Orbi. 🙂

Most devices will automatically connect to Orbi if you keep the same SSID and password. The only devices I had issue with are one security camera (Netatmo) and the Logitech Harmony hubs which seem to also check the MAC address of the AP, but all my other devices (TV's, speakers, laptops, different hubs, ...) connected smoothly to Orbi when I used the same SSID and password as what was in the old system.

So I believe that you will still need to check the devices one by one and connect the ones that will have issues.

Good luck

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

I also changed from Airport Extreme and Time Capsule to Orbi. 🙂

Most devices will automatically connect to Orbi if you keep the same SSID and password. The only devices I had issue with are one security camera (Netatmo) and the Logitech Harmony hubs which seem to also check the MAC address of the AP, but all my other devices (TV's, speakers, laptops, different hubs, ...) connected smoothly to Orbi when I used the same SSID and password as what was in the old system.

So I believe that you will still need to check the devices one by one and connect the ones that will have issues.

Good luck

Message 2 of 5
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

All of my devices connected using the same SSID. If you have an issue with one or two, sometimes just power cycling them will straighten it outwhen they attempt reconnection.

Message 3 of 5
Alf_G
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads up with the Harmony hubs. Now just hoping all my Homekit-enabled devices behave since they were a bit unpleasant to set up initially.

Message 4 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Good luck 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements