Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device requiring 2.4 ghz band and set up through smartphone

p_haze
Tutor

Device requiring 2.4 ghz band and set up through smartphone

I am trying to set up a device that only works with the 2.4 ghz band and has to be set up using an app on my S9. For this device, it asks me to select the wifi network (from a list of all visible networks) I want to use to connect the device. Since there is only a single SSID with the Orbi, the setup keeps failing. Any solutions?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Device requiring 2.4 ghz band and set up through smartphone

Try turning down the 5ghz radio power from 100% to 25%. Found under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Try setting WPA2 and AES only. If this fails, try WPA and TPIK or Auto. 

Try setting manual channel 1 as well on 2.4Ghz.

Message 2 of 14
p_haze
Tutor

Thanks, is this in the Orbi app?
Message 3 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@p_haze wrote:

No, you find this in the web interface orbilogin.net under the tab Advanced >> Advanced Settings >> Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if this helps get your device connected...You'll need a PC connected to the router and use a web browser for this setting.

@p_haze wrote:

Message 5 of 14
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@p_haze wrote:

I am trying to set up a device that only works with the 2.4 ghz band and has to be set up using an app on my S9. For this device, it asks me to select the wifi network (from a list of all visible networks) I want to use to connect the device. Since there is only a single SSID with the Orbi, the setup keeps failing. Any solutions?

Thanks.

Which device are you trying to setup?  It would help others to find a solution if we knew.

By way of example, I have 3 Ring floodlight cams that only have 2.4Ghz, and there was no issue connecting to the single SSD.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 14
p_haze
Tutor

I tried reducing the power of the 5 ghz band. That did not seem to help but will try the other suggestioins as well.

The device is called "Rotimatic". It is a food robot for baking flatbreads.

Message 7 of 14
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@p_haze wrote:

I tried reducing the power of the 5 ghz band. That did not seem to help but will try the other suggestioins as well.

The device is called "Rotimatic". It is a food robot for baking flatbreads.

https://rotimatic.com/testimonial/unable-to-connect-to-wifi/#

Looks like it is a problem with the device.  Contact their tech support and see if they can help.  Btw, my cousin has the rotimatic.  It is awesome!  I don't think he ever connected to the wifi though.

Message 8 of 14
p_haze
Tutor

I tried their support first. They asked me to connect the device using mobile hotspot which worked. So they said that the device is fine and that I should contact router manufacturer/ISP. 

Connecting to the mobile hotspot allowed for the download of latest firmware/algorithms. But for continued support/updates it needs to be connected to wifi. Otherwise, I am able to use the normal functionalities. 

Message 9 of 14
rams08
Tutor

I'm having the same connection issue. Already reduced the 5ghz wifi to 25% power. No Luck. Anyone has any solution.

Message 10 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

The Rotomatic user manual, page 20, says after the Rotomatic app is loaded into a smartphone, to use the app to connect to the Rotomatic WiFi.  This is a WiFi AP that the Rotomatic appliance has created.  It has nothing to do with the Orbi.  Once the app connects to the Rotomatic WiFi, enter the SSID and password of the Orbi.  The Rotomatic will then disconnect from the smartphone and connect to the Orbi WiFi using the SSID and password specified.  It will connect to the Orbi at 2.4G because that is all it can see.  5G has nothing to do with this.

Do I understand correctly that the Rotomatic app is not behaving as described on page 20?  i.e. the app does not see a WiFi named Rotomatic with a long number after it?  Is the smartphone in the same room as the appliance?

Message 11 of 14
rams08
Tutor

Rotimatic app is seeing the wifi. I enter the wifi user name and password and it keeps connecting. After a while getting a message in rotimatic app that connection failed.
Message 12 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

OK.  So, the Rotomatic app sees the Rotomatic WiFi, you connect, and the screen on the Rotomatic says "Phone synced to Rotomatic".  (Page 20)  You enter the Orbi SSID and password on the Rotomatic app.  Is this one of those apps that does not show which characters you have entered?  (i.e. puts dots or asterisks on the screen as you type)   The Rotomatic screen then shows "Connecting Rotomatic to Internet" (Page 21), but it never says "I am connected to Internet now."

My sense is this issue belongs to Rotomatic.  The Orbi broadcasts a 2.4G signal. The Rotomatic looks for a 2.4G signal.  You have a good WiFi signal where the Rotomatic is located. (It is not blocked behind metal appliances or something?)  You entered the SSID and password with the correct upper/lower case.  And, it never connects.

I had several episodes of frustration connecting cameras to WiFi because my stubby fingers would enter the wrong letters and their app didn't show what I had entered.  A LOT of gnashing of teeth.  Page 45 of the manual suggests reinstalling the Rotomatic app.  I doubt that would help, but that's what they suggest.

I think you can fiddle with the Orbi 5G signal until hell freezes over and it won't do anything to solve the problem.  We had a community user with a Whirlpool microwave he could not get connected for six months until finally the Whirlpool engineers made it work.

Message 13 of 14
rams08
Tutor

I was able to connect Rotimatic to a hotspot. Updated firmware of rotimatic and then was able to connect to Orbi successfully. At this point unsure why rotimatic was unable to connect to Orbi initially. Thanks all for your assistance.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7